Atmosphère 0.8.4 released: Switch FW 7.0.0/7.0.1 now supported, kernel patches for JIT support added and more!
As it often happens, firmware updates break CFW compatibility and FW 7.0.0 is no exception even though its keys were cracked within hours. Fast forwarding about 3 weeks and a half, FW 7.0.0’s days of not having a CFW ended as Atmosphère 0.8.4 got released with support for both 7.0.0 and 7.0.1!
What is Atmosphère?
Atmosphère, mainly developed by SciresM, TuxSH, hexkyz, and fincs, is one of the major players in the Nintendo Switch’s CFW scene and requires a fusee-gelee vulnerable Switch console. By using Atmosphère, you can make your Switch much more useful and do stuff such as:
- Run a lot of homebrew from an ever-increasing homebrew library.
Among available homebrew, we find:
- A plethora of emulators such as ones for the SNES, PS1, GBA and more recently, decently performing versions of Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS emulators thanks to overclocking and JIT support in the former!
- Utilities like NXShell, to browse your files and get stuff on your Switch via FTP, and pPlay for watching videos since Nintendo decided not to include a video player…
- Many open-source game ports like an osu! port and Sonic Robo Blast 2 port among others!
- Support for modules, similar to plugins in PSVita/PSP lingo, like sys-clk which lets you overclock your Switch’s CPU/GPU/RAM in both docked and undocked state
- Commercial game modding and many other things
What does Atmosphère 0.8.4 bring along?
While Atmosphère 0.8.4 isn’t a 0.x release, it’s still a pretty significant update as it includes:
- Support for firmwares 7.0.0 and 7.0.1 which means that the latest Switch firmware now has a CFW available for it!
- Key derivation is now done through a new payload called ‘sept’ which stores boot keys in “sept/payload.bin” on your SDCard
- It seems that the sigpatches being used for FW 6.2.0 and below do not work on FW 7.0.0/7.0.1 which means that custom NSP support is currently broken and applications like GoldLeaf won’t work.
- Kernel patches, by m4wx, having to do with JIT support now ship with Atmosphère
- The algorithm for recognising applications to override has been improved
- Numerous fixes relating to system modules, such as a fix for a deadlock condition in libstratosphere mitm sysmodules.
Without a doubt, the highlight of this release is FW 7.0.0/7.0.1 support but you should be cautious when updating to those firmwares if you use stuff that requires sigpatches. If your Switch is still running an older firmware, it’s still recommended to upgrade to Atmosphère 0.8.4 when you have time for the bug fixes and the JIT patches especially if you’re into emulation!
To grab Atmosphère 0.8.4 and liberate your FW 7.0.0/7.0.1 fusee-gelee vulnerable Switch, simply follow the link below and install it on your device. Issues should be reported to the Issues tab of the GitHub link below.
As usual, there’s a significant chance of getting banned when hacking your Switch especially when using NSPs so think twice before hacking your device and if you do so, avoid connecting to the internet!
Atmosphère 0.8.4 download link: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/latest