Modded Vita Homebrew Browser (VHBB) released that uses Wiki Vita Homebrew as a source – ONELua apps and other software banned from VitaDB can now be easily installed on your Vita!
Due to certain reasons, Rinnegatamante decided not to include all PSVita homebrew on VitaDB. As a result, you could not get certain homebrew through VHBB which limited their exposure. Now, Davis Nunez has released a modded version of VHBB to fix this problem!
What is this modded version of VHBB?
This modded version of Vita Homebrew Browser has one main aim and that is to use a source other than VitaDB as its homebrew repository. VHBB was created by devnoname120 but this mod was made by Davis Nunez who is part of Team ONELua, a team of programmers whose software is banned from VitaDB.
From my experience with it on FW 3.60, I could discern the following:
- This version of VHBB can be installed alongside the normal VHBB application as it has a different TITLEID so you’ll be able to use both of them at the same time
- The Wiki Homebrew Vita, which this version of VHBB uses as its source, has significantly less homebrew on it compared to VHBB
- As a result, it’s recommended to keep both versions of VHBB for quite some time since Wiki Homebrew Vita has only around 3 dozen homebrew titles as of writing this article
- This modded version has an issue in which it sometimes crashes your PSVita when you press O (Circle) when you’re in a homebrew listing to return to the main homebrew list.
- My PSVita returned the text mode “An error has occurred. The PS Vita system will be powered off” message
- If you get encounter this, you can hold the power button for a few seconds to power off then reboot your system
How do I get it?
To grab this modded version of VHBB, you have to do the following:
Head over to its GitHub release page
- Download the VPK and copy it to your Vita via FTP/USB
- Install the VPK through VitaShell and a bubble should pop up on your Live Area screen with the title “Vita Homebrew Browser Wiki”.
If you’d rather not use this modded version of VHBB, you may also grab homebrew directly from the Wiki Homebrew Vita page but you’d need Download Enabler installed to use that since it requires you to download VPK files through the browser. For some reason, there’s no Issues Tab on the GitHub page so issues are to be reported directly to Davis Nunez using the Twitter link below.
If Wiki Homebrew Vita gets more homebrew and this modded version of VHBB has its crashing issue fixed, then it would be safe to say that all PSVita homebrew ever released will be easily installable through the device itself.
Thanks to this, homebrew like ONEMenu, AutoPlugin and GameMaker games ported to the Vita, will be available to much larger audiences and more people can get to know and enjoy the work of certain developers!
Davis Nunez’s Twitter (future updates + who you should report issues to): https://twitter.com/DevDavisNunez
Wiki Homebrew Vita Twitter: https://twitter.com/WikiVita
Personal Note: I personally believe that Rinnegatamante has the right to deny certain homebrew from being uploaded to his own hosting service due to his own reasons. That being said, I find it unfortunate that certain homebrew can’t get the exposure it deserves due to Rinnegatamante’s personal policies so this will hopefully resolve that.