Nintendo Switch: Atmosphère 0.8.0 released with FW 6.2.0 support and various other improvements such as system partition protection!
A mere 11 days after FW 6.2.0 for the Switch was released, Atmosphère got updated to support it! Unlike previous updates, FW 6.2.0 was a bit of a headache for Switch hackers since it uses a new system key generation mechanism but thankfully, that was cracked in only a few days!
What is Atmosphère?
Atmosphère is a CFW for fusee-gelee vulnerable Nintendo Switch consoles by SciresM, TuxSH and hexkyz. This CFW is composed of 5 distinct modules that do different functions but in a nutshell, it allows you to:
- Run a wide range of homebrew applications such as:
- Emulators for consoles like the SNES, PS1 and GBA
- Game engine ports such as Xash3D (Half Life) and dhewm3 (DOOM 3)
- Utilities like NX-Shell to browse your files and Checkpoint to save your games
- Many other homebrew applications such as minigames (Tiles NX) and a patched YouTube app with removed restrictions and a lower FW requirement
- Mod commercial games like Minecraft BE
- Inject modules to do stuff like changing the joycon connect/disconnect sound and many other things
What does Atmosphère 0.8.0 bring along?
Atmosphère 0.8.0 is a pretty major update and it comes with:
- Support for firmware 6.2.0 with automatic system key generation. Special thanks to motezazer
- A custom ‘fatal’ system module was created which displays a custom error screen giving the user information about registers and a backtrace
- Some partitions like BOOT0 now have basic protections applied to them
- This stops malicious homebrew from messing with such partitions
- However, this doesn’t mean that you can now install everything you can get your hands on as malicious homebrew can still find ways to bypass this protection
- HDCP titles running on newer firmwares no longer crash
- Numerous other more technical improvements such as disabling smhax
Obviously, the major highlight of this release is support for FW 6.2.0 but if you’re on an older firmware, it’s still recommended you upgrade to this version as it has multiple under-the-hood improvements and could potentially save your Switch from being bricked by malicious homebrew!
To get Atmosphère 0.8.0, simply download it from the link below and install it on your Switch. If you encounter any issues, report them to the Issues Tab in the GitHub link provided.
Now, go hack your Switch on 6.2.0 and make sure to avoid connecting to the internet if you don’t want to get your console banned!
Atmosphère 0.8.0 download link: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/latest