DOOM 3 and its expansion pack “Resurrection of Evil” get ported to the Nintendo Switch – You can now blast even MORE demons on this Nintendo handheld!
Developer fgsfdsfgs keeps on amazing us with his work and this time is no exception as he ported DOOM 3 to the Nintendo Switch! As a result, the Switch is now the only handheld console that can run every game in the DOOM series which is something that I personally find funny considering it’s a Nintendo console!
What is DOOM 3?
DOOM 3, by id Software, is the somewhat lesser known sequel to the classic DOOM 1 and 2 games. It was released back in 2004 by Activision and, like id Software’s previous masterpieces, it was quite ahead of its time in the graphics department. As a result, it couldn’t be maxed out on contemporary hardware as it would run like molasses if you tried anything higher than 1024×768 at max settings on 2004 hardware.
Apart from its graphics, the game also has fun gameplay which is similar to that found in other DOOM games in which you blast through a ton of demons. Thanks to this, its graphics and realistic (at least for 2004) atmosphere in levels, it received pretty good reviews with major reviewing websites giving it a score of around 9/10. Later on down the line in November 2011, its source code was made publicly available under GPL and that’s how it found it way on various platforms like Android and, most recently, the Nintendo Switch.
What about the Switch port?
The Nintendo Switch port, by fgsfdsfgs, is based upon dhewm3 and is fully hardware accelerated. The port is currently at this stage:
- Performance isn’t the best as the game runs in the 20-30FPS range with shadows disabled but hey, I used to play COD 4 MP with only 20-30FPS so it may be playable for some
- Currently, the game can only run in 720p mode so perhaps, with a lower resolution, the framerate could be upped to a solid 30FPS all the time which would make the game more enjoyable
- Sound and Music are supported and EAX4.0 effects may also be used if enabled
- Controls are slightly buggy but they’re there for the most part and you may also use a USB-C keyboard with the game
- Both the original game and the “Resurrection of Evil” expansion are supported but a separate build must be used for the latter
- It must be noted that DOOM 3: BFG edition files are NOT supported
Right now, this port won’t give you the best experience due to its performance but its developer has mentioned that with future updates to the homebrew GPU driver on the Switch, performance could be improved quite a bit!
To grab this port, simply follow the link below and make sure you read the GBATemp thread below as it requires a specific installation method. DOOM 3 files (from pak000 to pak008) have to be provided by yourself as the game isn’t freeware. If you don’t own the game, you may buy it online for a few bucks from websites like Steam.
GBATemp thread (more info + download link): https://gbatemp.net/threads/dhewm3-nx-a-doom-3-port.519667/
Gameplay video by “N00MKRAD / Thaumiel Games” which demonstrates performance – Wololo isn’t affiliated with this YT channel
N.B: Please note that I could not test the software mentioned in this article as I currently do not own a Switch. The best efforts have been made to report accurate information through online research! – Aurora.