mGBA 0.7 beta 1 released – PSVita Audio Fix, Super GameBoy and GB Camera Support, Official Switch Port, Support for uma0 and ur0 partitions on Vita, bug fixes and much more!
A good GBA emulator is a must-have on any hacked console due to the GBA’s great game library with titles such as Castlevania: Aria of Sorrows and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. One pretty good GBA emulators is mGBA and now, it’s been updated to 0.7 beta to make it even better especially on the PSVita!
What is mGBA?
Contrary to its name, mGBA is not only a GameBoy Advance emulator but it could also emulate the original GameBoy and GameBoy Colour. Like many emulators, it’s available on various platforms including Windows/Mac/Linux, the PSVita, Wii, Nintendo Switch and 3DS. All ports are derived from the same codebase and are actively maintained with platform-specific bug fixes which makes this a great emulator for hacked consoles with a less active scene.
Other than simply running on many platforms, mGBA aims to run accurately and at good speeds on lower-end hardware which isn’t the easiest thing to do as even emulating lower-powered consoles can be challenging at times.
Among its features, we find:
- Save state support
- The ability to change your screen’s aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9
- GameBoy Camera and Super GameBoy support – as of this release
- Many other features such as cheat code support, touch and multi-partition support on the PSVita among others
What does mGBA 0.7 beta 1 bring along?
mGBA 0.7 beta 1 is quite a significant update and it comes with the following updates/features:
- Support for the GameBoy Camera, Printer and Super GameBoy accessories
- An initial Nintendo Switch port
- A fix for low-quality audio in the PSVita port along with support for loading games from ur0 and uma0
- Game Shark and Action Replay button are now supported
- The ability to automatically load and save cheats
- Many other features such as a French and Italian translation, a map viewer, customisable auto-fire speed, ELF support and lots of bug fixes
Without a doubt, you should update to mGBA 0.7 beta 1 as soon as possible if you’re using it on a PSVita or on the Switch. If you’re on other platforms, you can wait a little longer if everything’s working fine but having Super GameBoy support is pretty cool as it gives some extra features, like colour, to original GameBoy games.
Unfortunately, mGBA 0.7 beta doesn’t bring shader/filter support to the PSVita but that’ll hopefully come in a future release.
To grab mGBA 0.7 beta 1, simply follow the link below and download the appropriate version for your platform. If you encounter any bugs, report them on the project’s GitHub page.
mGBA 0.7 beta 1 changelog and information: https://mgba.io/2018/09/24/mgba-0.7-beta1/
Download links (go to the Preview downloads section): https://mgba.io/downloads.html
GitHub page: https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/