VitaShell 1.96 released – Faster file viewing with L/R triggers, moving files between partitions and more!
TheFlow never quite gets bored of updating VitaShell to make it a little better and now, he’s released VitaShell 1.96 for that exact purpose. VitaShell 1.96 brings some little tweaks to make the experience better and some bug fixes.
What is VitaShell?
VitaShell is the TheFlow’s famous file manager that’s installed on almost every HENkaku/taiHEN-enabled PSVita/PSTV console. TheFlow didn’t just stop at making it a great file manager but kept on adding features to make it even better.
Among these features, we find:
- An FTP server and the ability to use your PSVita like a pendrive to copy data to/from it
- Theme support
- Image, SFO and music viewers
- Ability to refresh LiveArea for use with NoNpDrm
- Ad-hoc support for transferring files between two PSVita consoles that are near-by
- Many other features including a QR code reader, an auto-updater and a text editor
What got updated/added in VitaShell 1.96?
VitaShell 1.96 brings along:
- The ability to skip between pages (17 on-screen items) in the file browser and SFO viewer by using the L/R triggers
- Ability to move files between partitions by executing a ‘copy and remove’ command
- A bug was fixed in which VitaShell forgot whether the user wanted to disable the VPK install warning dialogue
- Some changes relating to USB mass device file transfer were undone due to issues with VPK installation
- Hopefully, the memory card corruption fixed in VitaShell 1.95 doesn’t re-emerge
- The QR code reader/downloader no longer works because the way to trigger it (holding the L/R trigger) has been reassigned to something else (see point 1)
As you can see, this update brings some welcome changes and bug fixes but also takes away a feature. If you regularly use the QR reader and have no problems with VitaShell 1.95, you shouldn’t update just yet.
For those who don’t use the QR reader, it’s safe to update to VitaShell 1.96 right now. However, I personally think it would be useful if TheFlow or somebody else release a VitaShell 1.95 VPK with another ‘TITLEID’ for those who want the QR reader.
If you find any issues, it’s important to report them to TheFlow on the Issues tab of the GitHub link below. You may also donate a buck or two to TheFlow via Patreon.
VitaShell 1.96 manual download page: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases/latest
TheFlow’s Twitter (further updates): https://twitter.com/theflow0
TheFlow’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheOfficialFloW