VitaGrafix for hacked PSVita/PSTV consoles released – A plugin that lets you change the rendering resolution and FPS cap of some retail games!
For various reasons, ranging from battery life to performance, game developers sometimes limit their games from looking/feeling the best they could. To combat this, developer ‘Electry’ has released a plugin called VitaGrafix which bypasses these limitations so that you get the best possible experience!
What is VitaGrafix?
VitaGrafix is a plugin for taiHEN-enabled PSVita and PSTV consoles that lets you remove FPS caps and increase the rendering resolution of some games.
The main features of this plugin are:
- The ability to decrease/increase the framebuffer (the size of the frame you’re being shown on screen) and internal buffer (the resolution that’s being rendered internally) resolution.
- This allows you to make games that render at lower resolutions, like 840×476 in Persona 4’s case, to render at the PSVita’s screen resolution of 960×544. Obviously, this makes games look nicer but battery life may also be impacted.
- Removing FPS caps since some games, like God of War Collection and Killzone Mercenary, limit their framerate to a maximum of 30 FPS. Through this plugin, you can increase the FPS cap variable for a smoother experience.
- A highly customisable way of configuring the plugin so that you can get exactly what you want.
Which games are supported? How do I use the plugin?
As of this article, VitaGrafix supports 13 titles which are:
- Killzone Mercenary
- Persona 4 Golden – I personally tested this by upping the resolution to 960×544 and I didn’t notice any performance hits or battery life drops!
- WRC 3 and WRC 4
- God Of War Collection
- MUD – FIM Motocross World Championship
- MXGP: The Official Motocross Videogame
- F1 2011
- Borderlands 2 (one of the most laggy games on the system)
- Asphalt Injection
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- World of Final Fantasy
It must be noted that not all functions work on every game so for example, some games won’t allow you to change the framebuffer resolution or the FPS cap. Furthermore, some of the supported titles may have some subtle issues that the developer of this plugin wasn’t able to detect so keep your eyes peeled for those!
To use this plugin, you need to do the following:
- Install both the plugin itself and kuio (a plugin by Rinnegatamante which allows for I/O operations)
- Create a config.txt in ux0:/data/VitaGrafix
- Configure the file as per the README linked below.
- Make sure you read and understand the information in the README file before using this plugin! It has important info regarding what you can and cannot do with supported games.
- Reboot your PSVita so that all changes take effect.
- Enjoy your super-charged (or down-scaled) games!
To get this plugin, simply follow the link below. If you encounter any issues, simply report them to the GitHub page below. Hopefully, in the future, somebody, like TheHeroGAC who made AutoPlugin or ONELua Team, will come up with a Lua application that makes configuring this plugin a breeze 😉
VitaGrafix GitHub download page: https://github.com/Electry/VitaGrafix/releases
VitaGrafix README: https://github.com/Electry/VitaGrafix/blob/master/README.md
Reddit thread that contains some good info: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/97s2j4/release_vitagrafix_v21/