A look at PSVita wishlists after HENkaku’s 2nd year anniversary – Part II
After two years of HENkaku, we got a great deal of homebrew and when there’s homebrew, there are always wishlists. In this article, we are going to be looking at part 3 and 4 of Typhoon_Neon’s GekiHEN wishlist!
Like Part I, only 2 wishlists will be tackled in this article so that it’s not extremely long. In other articles, more of the wishlists featured on Wololo will be tackled! This includes 5 (one of which is a community edition) GekiHEN wishlists by Typhoon_Neon and one wishlist by myself.
If you don’t know what GekiHEN is, it was a PSVita/PSTV homebrew contest in which developers could write homebrew and have the chance of winning a monetary prize. This contest ran from September 2016 to March 2017 and it brought us some great stuff such as Vita Homebrew Browser, pfba, various fan-made Zelda game ports and UAE4ALL.
The following colour scheme will be used:
- Green – Software that got a working native port/release.
- Orange – Software that didn’t get a native port/release but that can still be played on the PSVita through Adrenaline or other means. It may also be applied to titles which saw a similar piece of software being ported to the Vita.
- Red – Software that didn’t get a native port and couldn’t be played through any of the currently available PSVita emulators
Part III of the GekiHEN wishlist
Both Part I and Part II of the GekiHEN wishlist were mostly fulfilled with only 3 entries out of 12 not being available in at least one form or another. Now, we’re going to look at Part III which includes another 6 titles:
- Wagic The Homebrew – While this impressive homebrew card game would be a joy to play on the PSVita, a port for it never saw the light of the day even though there was some talk about it. That being said, you may still play the PSP version via Adrenaline so not all hope is lost!
- SmashGPSP – Like the title above it, this Smash Bros clone never got a PSVita port either and there wasn’t ever any talk about it. However, you may still play the PSP version on your Vita with filters in Adrenaline.
- Another World II: Heart of the Alien – Unlike the two previous titles, this one got a PSVita port by no other than porting guru ‘usineur’. To get it, simply check this link out!
- Fade to Black – This one was ported earlier this year by porting master ‘usineur’. Furthermore, this was made possible by Rinnegatamante’s VitaGL which comes to show how much the PSVita scene developed since the GekiHEN days!
- Jazz Jackrabbit – Jazz Jackrabbit is one of my favourite DOS-era titles and it’s a blast to play on portable consoles. Thankfully, OpenJazz was ported by usiner earlier this year so you can go play it right now!
- Ikemen – Unfortunately, Ikemen or MUGEN never got a PSVita port but you may still play Open Mugen for the PSP via Adrenaline. That being said, some people reported that it doesn’t work properly on older versions of Adrenaline so your mileage may vary on this one!
Similar to the previous wishlists, Typhoon_Neon only listed titles that are within the PSVita’s capabilities. As a result, 3 of these got a native port while the other 3 can be played via Adrenaline. Thankfully, Adrenaline lets you use screen filters (such as Advanced AA) and make use of the PSVita’s right analogue stick so PSP homebrew will always look and feel a notch better!
Part IV of the GekiHEN wishlist
The third wishlist also did pretty well so there was room for a foruth one. This last wishlist contains the following:
- Sonic Robo Blast 2 – This is a Sonic-based DOOM mod that manages to achieve some awesome stuff considering the engine it’s based on. Quite surprisingly, some crazy developers managed to port it to the PSP but considering how hectic the game is, it’s no surprise that the PSP port runs quite badly.
- Sadly, the Vita didn’t get a port of this and there was never any talk about it either. You may still play the PSP version via Adrenaline but don’t expect any miracles! To get it, simply look for it online since no links will be provided here as the current links are a little shady.
- PSPUAE – UAE4ALL got ported to the PSVita in November 2016 as a GekiHEN entry by Cpasjuste. However, you’re better off using rsn8887’s modded version which includes numerous fixes and new features that make things work better!
- Hedgewars – This one didn’t get a native port but there is an official Worms artillery game for the PSVita that’s currently on sale!
- OpenSonic – While the PSVita got numerous ports of fan-made games like Zelda ROTH and OLB, it never got ports for any fan-made Sonic games. Unfortunately, OpenSonic isn’t available on the PSP either BUT apparently, someone was able to get a port up and running albeit slowly.
- Shadow Warrior – Sadly, the PSVita didn’t get a Shadow Warrior port but you may play the PSP version via Adrenaline. Links won’t be provided as they’re from sketchy websites and include the full game which is still copyrighted material.
- Aleph One – As far as I know, no work on a PSVita port was ever done. There was some work on a PSP version if you’re in that however. You may also attempt to play the Marathon games on Basilisk II since they are available for 68k Macintosh computers.
This wishlist was the one that fared the worst considering there’s only one title that got a proper homebrew port. That being said, some of the other titles can still be played via Adrenaline or other emulators and there’s still a low chance that some titles get ported in the future!
Stay tuned for the third and last part of this wishlist analysis series! 🙂 I hope that this article helped you find out some great homebrew titles that you may have never heard of.