Amazon Prime day is this Monday – What’s in it for gamers?
Amazon Prime day is coming on July 16th worldwide, that’s Monday.
Over the years, Amazon Prime Day has stepped up from a “meh” series of discount into a full week of legit deals, some of which are a good opportunity for gamers and often better deals than on black Friday. This year should be no different, with deals for PS4, Switch, XBO and PC games as well as accessories.
Although there’s a clear push for Amazon specific products (the flagship deal this year is $100 off the Amazon Echo Show), it’s obvious some good deals will be around for gamers.
Amazon Prime Day – Prime Exclusive products for gamers
This year, Amazon are introducing products that will initially be available exclusively to their prime members. The following might be interesting in particular for some of us:
- Seagate 4TB portable USB Hard Drive for $94.99 (21% off)
- Seagate 2TB BarraCuda Internal SSD for $449.99
Amazon Prime Day – Twitch Free games
Additionally, Twitch have free games (for PC) for Prime members that you can grab throughout the month. That giveaway has already started, so you can grab a Prime free trial now, then head over to Twitch to connect your twitch/Amazon accounts and get your free games.
Free games include Tacoma, Observer, Deponia Doomsday, Hue, Uurnog uurnlimited, Next up herro, Gonner, and the SNK Bundle.
Amazon Prime Day – PS4 / Nintendo Switch Deals ?
Amazon haven’t announced anything specific for console deals this year, but there’s no doubt that gaming deals will be made available throughout the day. See below on how to get them.
How to get ready to snatch deals for gamers
In addition to the deals above, Amazon will have lightning deals that pop up every 10 minutes or so, and last for a few hours or until all stocks are claimed, whichever happens first.
What’s critical to remember is that every year on Prime day, the good deals sell out within minutes. So if you’re thinking of getting a game for cheap or improving your gaming gear on 7/16, it’s essential that you get ready. The last thing you want is missing out on a deal because your Amazon account does not have a valid payment method or the right billing address!
So here’s what you need to do to get ready for Amazon prime day:
- Get a Prime free trial if you’re not prime yet. It’s free for 30 days and you can cancel it afterwards. Don’t wait until the day of the event to become a Prime member, you’ll regret it if you miss a deal because of the extra time it takes to set up your account. Amazon Prime day is exclusive for Prime members so you will need this to get the deals. (And, yes, if you sign up for the free trial through my link, I get a small commission even though you have nothing to pay. So thanks if you do, it means a lot!)
- Worst case scenario, no good deal shows up and you can cancel the auto renewal of your subscription to have it automatically stop after the 30 days free trial.
- In your Amazon settings, make sure you have a valid shipping address and payment method. Reload your gift card balance ahead of time if that’s the payment method you plan to use.
- Make a list of the stuff you actually want, ahead of time. This will avoid purchasing a bunch of *** you didn’t actually want.
- Follow us on Twitter. I’ll try my best to surface good deals if I notice them in time.
- Check the Amazon deals page regularly, and use their “watch deal” feature, which will warn you when an upcoming deal goes live.
- Beware of “not so great” deals. Just because there’s a deal on Amazon Prime day doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good one. My personal strategy last year worked fairly well: buy the deal anyway, then take a few minutes to compare prices with the competition. If the deal’s not worth it, I cancel my purchase.
It’s still too early to know what Prime Day 2018 will bring to gamers, and if anything will be good, great, or just “meh”. Wait and see.