This week in PSVita/PSP homebrew (13 Jun – 20 Jun): VitaShell 1.93, DownloadEnabler/pngshot/SD2Vita driver for FW 3.68, DaedalusX64 updated, VitaBright 0.9 and more!
Slowly but surely, the PSVita’s homebrew releases are becoming further and few between. However, this week saw an uptick in activity, partly due to TheFlow’s upcoming FW 3.65-3.68 hack to be released in 11 days (1 July 2018)! This week, there were further updates to VitaShell, various plugins like DownloadEnabler and even some PSP stuff!
VitaShell 1.93 released
A couple of days ago, VitaShell, TheFlow’s popular file manager for the PSVita, saw some updates which brought FW 3.68 support and some new features. Now, TheFlow has released yet another version (v1.93) which brings along:
- A bug relating to ux0: mounting was fixed in which gamesd mounting wasn’t being detected properly.
- xmc0: (PSVSD) can now be mounted via VitaShell as its been added to the partition list.
As you can see, this update is a pretty minor one but one that you should install nonetheless considering how easy it is to update VitaShell through its online updater! You simply need to open VitaShell while being connected to Wi-Fi to get the auto-update prompt.
DownloadEnabler and pngshot updated to support FW 3.68
DownloadEnabler, a plugin that allows you to download any file via the browser by TheFlow, has been updated to version 5 which brings along support for FW 3.68, a firmware that’ll be supported by TheFlow’s upcoming hack.
This plugin is very useful as it allows you to easily grab ROMs from the internet and it’s even more useful on FW 3.67/3.68 since they have TLSv1.2 support in their browser which allows more websites to function properly!
pngshot, a plugin by xyzz that allows you to take screenshots in any app and removes their watermark, has also been updated with FW 3.68 support. This new update has a version number of 1.2 and it only includes the aforementioned FW 3.68 support which was added through a commit done by TheFlow. If you’re a fan of taking screenshots, you should really give this plugin a go since copyright watermarks can kinda ruin them!
Emulator updates: DaedalusX64 and ScummVM updated for the PSVita/PSP
Sometimes, old emulators resurface with some updates and this week saw DaedalusX64 get a minor update. Wololo /talk user ‘z2442’ has compiled DaedalusX64 R1909 (latest build), the PSP’s Nintendo 64 emulator, with the -O3 flag which brings about the following advantages:
- A minimal speed boost in some games such as Super Smash Bros, according to Reddit user Greeny360
- Audio in Async-mode may not crash as often now, especially in Zelda Ocarina of Time
Do keep in mind that this is just a minor build and it won’t be doing any wonders relating to game performance. That being said, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to check it out if you use DaedalusX64 occasionally for games that actually work somewhat well like Super Mario Kart 64! Obviously, this also works on the PSVita via VHBL or Adrenaline
Thanks to rsn8887, ScummVM for the PSP/PSVita also some improvements which include:
- Additional RAM can now be used in the PSVita port which means that around an extra 100MB RAM is available to ScummVM (release 26)
- MP3 playback on the PSVita port using libmad now works properly thanks to fixes from Cpasjuste (release 26)
- Version 26 was re-compiled with the latest additions from the ScummVM GIT repo
- Version 27 fixed issues with some Sierra games such as Phantasmagoria for both the PSP and PSVita
These changes have been merged to the main ScummVM source code so they’ll also be included in official nightly/dev builds. It must be noted that official nightly/dev builds for the PSP aren’t being built properly so you should use rsn8887’s versions to get the latest features!
This week also saw the release of the following:
- VitaBright 0.9 which packs in a gamma table by default and some bug fixes.
- The SD2Vita driver by xyzz (gamesd.skprx) has seen an update which brings along compatibility with FW 3.68
To get the homebrew/plugins mentioned in this article, simply follow the links below. If you find any issues, report them to their respective creator through the links below!
VitaShell 1.93 GitHub page: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases/latest
Download Enabler v5 GitHub page: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/DownloadEnabler/releases/latest
pngshot 1.2 GitHub page: https://github.com/xyzz/pngshot/releases/latest
DaedalusX64 Wololo /talk page: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=49335
Updated ScummVM by rsn8887: https://github.com/rsn8887/scummvm/releases/latest
VitaBright 0.9 download link: https://github.com/devnoname120/vitabright/releases/latest
SD2Vita driver for FW 3.68: https://github.com/xyzz/gamecard-microsd/releases/latest