This week in Switch Homebrew (May 25 – June 1): Postal, Another World and Heart of the Alien ported, kgdoom updated for Switch FW 5.0.2, Checkpoint version 3.2.0 and more!
For the last couple of weeks, the Switch’s scene has been on fire and lots of homebrew has been released. This week was no exception since it brought along ports of Postal, Another World and HOTA, kgdoom to Switch FW 5.0.2, an update to Checkpoint and more!
Game Ports: Postal, Another World and HOTA
This week saw a great deal of open-source game engine ports to the Switch. Among these ports, we find:
- Postal-NX, a port of the Postal’s game engine that was made open-source back in late 2016.
This port was done by GBATemp user MVG and is said to have sound, twinstick and widescreen support for an optimal experience!
- Postal is a pretty demented game by ‘Running With Scissors’ in which you play as a guy who was evicted from his home and thinks that the US Air Force released poison gas in his town. This guy ends up shooting quite a few people as he goes postal so this isn’t a game for the faint-hearted!
- Rawgl, a re-implementation of Another World’s engine by Grégory Montoir. The developer behind the Switch port is usineur, a popular name in the PSVita homebrew community, and it is said to work on FW 5.0.x
- HOTA, a rewritten Heart of The Alien engine by Gil Megidish. Like rawgl, the Nintendo Switch port was also done by usineur and it’s also been reported to work on FW 5.0.x.
- Another World (Out of This World in NA) is an action-adventure game by Delphine Software that takes place through a series of cutscenes. You follow a young scientists who ends up on an perilous alien world in which he must fight for his life! HOTA is its sequel which was only released on the Sega CD.
As you can see, the first two are ports of pretty high profile classic games so they’re a good way to get that nostalgia going on your Switch. If you haven’t played them already, it’s recommended you go grab them as soon as possible and give them a try!!
Homebrew updates: kgdoom updated with support for FW 5.0.2 and Checkpoint updated to version 3.2
This week saw kgdoom, a port of the original DOOM engine, being updated with support for firmware 5.0.2 so that more people could enjoy it! Apart from support for FW 5.0.2, a recent update also earned it the ability to choose between different WADs since kgdoom, like various other DOOM engine ports, supports DOOM, DOOM II, Ultimate DOOM and some other titles.
kgdoom was ported to the Switch by kgsws but the recent updates were done by aagallag. Unfortunately, there’s no BGM support right now which kind of ruins the experience!
On the topic of updates, this week Checkpoint, the Switch’s save manager for hacked consoles by Bernardo Giordano, was updated to version 3.2. The update brought along:
- Support for using the L/R triggers for backing up and restoring save data.
- Various bug fixes and crashes were patched up. A very noticeable bug fix is that games that use non-ASCII characters in their title will have their name displayed properly.
- Lots of small code improvements to make the experience better.
- On another note, the 3DS version of Checkpoint got support for custom backup configurations, fast scrolling, touch-less saving (via the L/R triggers) and a whole slew of bug fixes.
The Nintendo Switch got even more homebrew this week, such as:
- Switch SDL Pong
- NX-Shell BETA, which was covered in a previous article
In conclusion, we can say that this week was a pretty fruitful one and brought along many important contributions to the Switch scene. To get the homebrew mentioned in this article, simply follow the links below and grab the respective NRO files!
All issues should be reported to the homebrew’s respective author on the GBATemp or GitHub pages linked below!
Postal-NX GBATemp release thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/postal-for-the-nintendo-switch.505234/
Another World & HOTA GBATemp port thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/another-world-and-heart-of-the-alien-for-switch.505416/
kgdoom GitHub update page: https://github.com/aagallag/kgdoom/releases/latest
Checkpoint 3.2 GitHub update page: https://github.com/BernardoGiordano/Checkpoint/releases/latest
Switch SDL Pong: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-sdl-pong.505348/
N.B: Please note that I could not test the software mentioned in this article as I currently do not own a Switch. The best efforts have been made to report accurate information through online research! – Aurora.