iOS Jailbreaking scene going on fire again – Ian Beer has an iOS 11.3.1 tfp0 exploit that he plans to release shortly and CoolStar may be updating Electra to support iOS 11.3.1 through it!
When it comes to device/console hacking, it is always the same game of cat and mouse. Obviously, that also applies to the iOS jailbreaking scene but now the ‘mouse’ has gained some temporary ground as Ian Beer has a tfp0 exploit for iOS 11.3.1!
What has Ian Beer said? Why is it important?
A couple of hours ago, Ian Beer, a well-known security researcher and member of Google’s Project Zero, stated that he has a tfp0 exploit for iOS 11.3.1. Apart from giving us the great news that he has an exploit for a currently signed version of iOS, he also told us that he’ll be releasing it next week!
Obviously, there is no doubt that Ian Beer will be sticking to his word, as he did with his iOS 11.1.2 async_wake exploit, when it comes to releasing the exploit but what exactly is tfp0? tfp0 (task at pid0) is an essential part of any jailbreak as it allows the user to run code with kernel privileges (and will subsequently grant root permissions).
Do remember that this exploit won’t magically give you a full jailbreak but CoolStar said that he may update Electra to support iOS 11.3.1. However, it must be noted that his updated version of Electra has a considerable chance of only supporting A7-A9 as a KPP bypass may be required to make it work!
What should you do? Update to iOS 11.3.1 or stay put?
Currently, there are various things which you could do to increase your chances of enjoying a potential iOS 11.3.1 jailbreak. These are:
- First and foremost, grab iOS 11.3.1 blobs for your device! Apple will probably stop signing iOS 11.3.1 in a few days since iOS 11.4 is out and it’s been confirmed by Jonathan Levin that Ian Beer’s exploit doesn’t work on iOS 11.4.
- Grabbing your blobs is important because iOS 11.4’s SEP (Secure Enclave Processor firmware) is compatible with iOS 11.3.1 so you’ll be able to update your device via FutureRestore.
- To grab your blobs, simply follow the link below and make sure you have your device’s ECID handy.
- If you’re already on iOS 11.4 and want to jailbreak, it is advised that you downgrade to iOS 11.3.1 as soon as possible.
- Those on a version of iOS that’s already jailbroken should wait until more information is released since jailbreaks sometimes take months to be released.
- If you already have your blobs saved and don’t mind dabbling with CLI, you can upgrade to iOS 11.3.1 with FutureRestore any time you want until iOS 11.4.x is still being signed. iOS 11.4.x will likely keep on being signed till early October 2018 so there’s no rush!
- If you’re on iOS 11.2-11.2.6, it’s a bit of a tough call but I personally think that you’ll have a better chance of getting a jailbreak if you upgrade to iOS 11.3.1!
While Ian Beer and CoolStar are both known to release what they promise, it is important to remember that we currently don’t have anything tangible on our hands. With that in mind, I advise against jumping the gun and updating only to regret it later!
Ian Beer’s Twitter (source of the iOS 11.3.1 exploit): https://twitter.com/i41nbeer
CoolStar’s Twitter (more information on the potential Electra for iOS 11.3.1 release): https://twitter.com/coolstarorg
TSS Saver (saving your blobs): https://tsssaver.1conan.com/
Jailbreak sub-reddit (most up-to-date information source on iOS jailbreaking and a chance to hoard some karma if you get lucky!): https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/