Can’t wait to run the 5.05 exploit on this baby. The God Of War Limited Edition PS4 Pro has been confirmed to ship with firmware 4.73
May 20th has come and gone, and we haven’t received the PS4 5.05 Jailbreak yet. How dare the hackers play with our feelings?
A lot of people were expecting the 5.05 Jailbreak to be published yesterday. This was mostly due to some miscommunication across all the scene, but not only. Basically, Project Mira 1.00 was released today, and people were expecting the kernel exploit to ship with it. It hasn’t.
It’s a good time to remind everyone that SpecterDev has not committed to a May 20th release of the exploit. His only official announce so far was that it would come “in a few weeks”, which, granted, was a few weeks ago. And frankly, even when a hacker gives you a date for a release, I’d take it with a bucket of salt. You never know what could happen. So, let’s chill for a little bit, as the release is coming, “soon”.
How “soon” is “soon”, though? Some scene websites have claimed SpecterDev stated he was delayed, and the exploit wouldn’t be released “before June”. But other, trusted devs, have debunked this statement as being fake. Hacker DarkElement published a statement from SpecterDev saying that “kexpl is closer to this week probably”.
Note the careful choice of words here: “kexpl”, “closer”, and “probably”. All of these words could lead to disappointment if you don’t read them correctly. Something that’s “close” to this week could very well be released next week. Next week is “close” to this week, after all. “probably” is self explanatory. And “kexpl”, meaning the kernel exploit, implies that maybe other parts of the stack could end up not being released at the same time. Example: “here’s the kernel exploit, now someone needs to port it to the existing webkit exploit”. We’ve seen that before.
In any case, you should take that one with a bucket of salt as well. Given the current atmosphere of doctored “discord” statements, I’ve reached out to SpecterDev to confirm his latest status, and will update if/when he gets back to me. For now, it’s safe to say May is a possibility, but June isn’t that fare either, so the release might be in June.
Update: SpecterDev has confirmed to me that the statement above is indeed from him: Kernel exploit release could happen this week.