vitaWolfen 1.5 released – The PSVita’s Wolfenstein 3D port gets a huge overhaul with vitaGL rendering, a completely new codebase, ImGui and much more!
Thanks to Rinnegatamante, vitaWolfen, one of the earliest homebrew for the PSVita/PSTV, got a huge update that makes it great again! This update brings many big features, such as VitaGL rendering, that will undoubtedly bring joy to fans of this timeless game!
What is vitaWolfen?
As its title suggests, vitaWolfen is a Wolfenstein 3D engine port for the PSVita/PSTV which also lets you play Spear of Destiny and its mission packs! Just in case you were living under a rock, Wolfenstein 3D is first-person shooter game developed by id Software (the folks who developed Doom, Quake and Commander Keen among others) which was released back in 1992.
This game, which can be said to be the grandpa of FPS games, has you play as BJ Blazkowicz, an Allied spy, who must escape from the Nazi’s Castle Wolfenstein. You achieve this by killing a lot (and yes, it’s A LOT) of Nazis and even Hitler himself while navigating through labyrinth-esque maps.
What got updated/added in vitaWolfen 1.5?
vitaWolfen 1.5 brought us the following great stuff:
- The code base has been changed from Wolf3D-PSP to Wolf4SDL, a pretty mature Wolf3D engine port which has some features of its own such as mod support, long songs (BGM) and some more.
- vitaWolfen also got the vitaGL treatment so that means that it’s rendered through the GPU. As a result of this, the game runs at 60FPS all the time. Something I could confirm myself as I played through the first 2 levels.
- Bilinear filtering, custom shaders, an FPS counter and a cheats menu have been added!
- To facilitate the usage of the above features, vitaWolfen also got imGui which lets you easily change options via the touchscreen.
- Support for Spear of Destiny’s missionpacks (Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge).
- Many bug fixes and stability improvements thanks to the new code base.
This update is a pretty major one that you should definitely check out if you played vitaWolfen before since the exprience has been seriously improved. If you haven’t played Wolfenstein 3D, go play it now 🙂
To get vitaWolfen 1.5 on your PSVita, simply open VHBB and install it from there. You can enjoy this game instantly as the shareware files for Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny come bundled if you install it via VHBB!
If you want to play the full game, you need to copy over your own full version files to ux0:/data/Wolfenstein 3D.
Wololo /talk update post (full changelog): https://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=46288&p=422634#p422634
VitaDB link: http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/31
Rinnegatmante’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante