Dstroy Vita released – Blow up your friends with this multiplayer Bomberman game that supports up to 4 players on the PSTV!
With the PSVita homebrew recently slowing down quite a bit, Rinnegatamante, with the help of some others, has ported yet another game to the PSVita. This time around, it’s Dstroy, a Bomberman-like game that has great multiplayer capabilities!
What is Dstroy Vita?
Dstroy Vita is a port of the MS-DOS game carrying the name Dstroy that was released back in 1995 by Fully Bugged Software (FBS). Dstroy is a bomberman-esque game that has two game modes and some features to keep you entertained such as:
- An Adventure mode which is like the usual Bomberman games we’re all accustomed to. You have to kill the other enemies on screen to
progress and if they hit or you blow yourself up, game’s over after you burn through all your lives!
- A Deathmatch mode in which you have to fight other human opponents in split-screen mode. This is especially great if you have a PSTV as it can support up to 4 simultaneous players!
- Many power-ups which let you place more bombs at the same time, increase the range of the bombs and do other things.
- Tricky game mechanics as some ‘power-ups‘ can teleport you to a dead-end and force you to blow yourself up!
If you’re a fan of Bomberman games, this is a great game to try as it’s free and has quite a few great features!
What about the PSVita port?
The PSVita port is based on the SDL port by ‘naroin’ which is coded in C++ and was released back in 2006. Dstroy Vita has the following Vita-specific features:
- In Deathmatch mode, thre’s support for up to 2 players using the same console if you’re using a PSVita OR support for up to 4 players if you’re using a PSTV!
- ImGui menus so that you can easily change game settings.
- Rendering through VitaGL so that you get a smooth framerate.
- Great and easy-to-learn control scheme which makes playing it with a friend on the same console a breeze!
From my testing session, I could conclude that this is a pretty mature port and that it ran at a framerate above 40 FPS even in split-screen mode. As you can see, the game is great to play with friends provided you have enough controllers on hand!
It is important to note that this port was a team effort with Rinnegatamante being the main developer. The multiplayer capabilities and some VitaGL work were done by rsn8887, the LiveArea screen is by HtheB, some extra translation work (French -> English) was done by xy2_ and that ImGui is ocornut’s work.
To grab this game for you PSVita/PSTV, simply open VHBB and download it from there as it’s available on VitaDB. If you can’t use that, simply copy over the VPK and install it and its data files.
Wololo /talk thread (more info + control description): http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=49284
VitaDB link (direct download link): https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/383
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (if you wish to donate him a buck for his hard work): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante
Source Code: https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/DstroyVita