Duke Nukem 3D ported to the Nintendo Switch by Cpasjuste: Blast those alien bastards who shot up your ride on Nintendo’s latest console!
With the Nintendo Switch becoming the next big thing to be hacked, it was only a matter of time before Duke Nukem 3D got ported to it! Now, you can enjoy this PC classic through eDuke32 thanks to cpasjuste.
What is Duke Nukem 3D and eDuke32?
Duke Nukem 3D is a classic FPS game that was released for the PC back in 1996 by GT Interactive and developed by 3D Realms. In Duke Nukem 3D, you play as Duke Nukem, a bad-*** guy who wants to obliterate the alien bastards who shot up his ride.
To do this, you have to go through 3 episodes which take place in different places including LA, space and various other locations on Earth including a Japanese restaurant!
eDuke32 is the game engine which the Switch port is based on and it’s a source port of the Duke 3D engine which is also open-source. This great multi-platform game engine has many added features such as:
- OpenGL accelerated renderer
- Support for huge resolutions and the awesome High Resolution Pack!
- Many other features such as lots of bug fixes and extensive game mod support.
What about the Switch port?
The Switch port was done by cpasjuste, a popular figure in the PSVita homebrew scene who ported PFBA and UAE4ALL2 among other software. According to screenshots and a video, the Switch port renders pretty well and runs at a pretty good frame rate!
Users have reported it works fine on Switch FW 2.1.0 and 3.0.0 so that’s a thumbs-up for most hacked Swithces.
Remember, this is a pretty early release so there are some issues to be had such as:
- There’s no BGM support so you’ll have to forego the epic Duke 3D tunes for now :/
- Currently, you can’t save as there’s a bug in which you can’t enter a save name to any of the saves you do!
- The game isn’t completely stable as shown by the YouTube video of Sean Torres below.
To install it on your Switch, you need to do the following:
- Grab the ZIP file from the link below.
- Extract it and copy the ‘eduke32.nro’ and ‘eduke32.cfg’ files to your Switch in the directory “/switch” on your microSD card.
- Copy DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS to the “/switch/eduke32” folder on your microSD.
- Run the game through the Homebrew Launcher.
- Enjoy Duke3D with some pesky issues that will probably be fixed soon!
To get Duke Nukem 3D for your Nintendo Switch, simply follow the link below and copy it to your Switch. Remember, Duke 3D isn’t a free game so if you wish to play the full game, you should have bought the full game!
If you have any other issues, report them to cpasjuste through the GBATemp thread or GitHub link below.
Duke Nukem 3D GBATemp thread (more information): https://gbatemp.net/threads/duke-nukem-3d.502386/
Duke Nukem 3D GitHub page (install instructions + keymap): https://github.com/Cpasjuste/eduke32/releases/latest
Duke Nukem 3D on the Nintendo Switch Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfu8yVJnxuo
Article image is from Sean Torres’ video linked above!