Super Methane Bros ported to the PSVita – Poison and obliterate monsters on the go with this Amiga classic!
After giving the PSVita BLAST PROCESSING with a port of Jazz Jackrabbit, porting-guru ‘usineur’ went ahead on his porting journey for the PSVita. This time around, he got us Super Methane Bros, a classic Amiga game that’s a lot in fun in short bursts!
What is Super Methane Bros?
Super Methane Bros is a Bubble Bobble (NES) clone that stars Puff and Blow obliterating bad guys without much of a story line. Even though the game doesn’t have a story line, it is still a pretty fun game (or perhaps a mini-game) since it has:
- Fast gameplay and very easy-to-learn controls. In this game, you have to poison bad guys by throwing gas, presumably methane, at them. After that, you suck them and slam them against a wall!
- A large variety of power-ups including Turbo, White Potion (makes you invincible!) and cookies among others!
- Colourful levels and many different baddies such as huge ladybirds and robot bugs!
- Other great stuff such as secret things to discover, generators that create more bad guys in later levels and springs which let you make big jumps!
What about the PSVita port?
The PSVita port is based on Mark Page’s free and open-source remake of the game, which is available for many platforms such as Windows/Mac/PSP and others. Super Methane Bros for the PSVita has the following features:
- Full sound support.
- Ability to change between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios by pressing ‘SELECT’.
- High score saving.
- An elegant control scheme in which ‘X’ is for firing and ‘O’ is for jumping!
Currently, the latest version is 1.1 and it fixes some important bugs from version 1.0 while bringing stereo audio.
To get Super Methane Bros, you can open VHBB and install it from there as it’s available on VitaDB. It’s important to note that the version of the game on VitaDB is 1.0 and not 1.1 so you may encounter some bugs!
You may also install the VPK manually via VitaShell if you wish.
If you have any issues, report them to usineur through the GitHub link below.
Super Methane Bros GitHub page (download link of latest version + changelog): https://github.com/usineur/methane/releases/latest
Super Methane Bros’ website (more info about game): http://methane.sourceforge.net/
Usineur’s Twitter (further updates): https://twitter.com/usineur0