VitaQuake III updated to version 0.6 – Multiplayer (online and LAN) support, Touch controls, substantial performance improvements and more!
While the PSVita didn’t get much love in the FPS department when it comes to official games, the homebrew scene is currently remedying that with titles such as VitaQuake (I/II/III), Doom and more! With the work of Rinnegatamante, the PSVita’s Quake III port got updated to version 0.6 which brings along very important features such as multiplayer support!
What is VitaQuake III?
As its name implies, it is a port of Quake III for the PSVita and PSTV. It’s based on the open-source implementation of the Quake III engine that’s called ioQauke and heavily uses VitaGL, Rinnegatmante’s OpenGL solution for the PSVita/PSTV, to obtain a decent framerate.
VitaQuake III has the following features:
- Support for both Quake III Arena and Team Arena
- Hardware acceleration, through VitaGL, which allows it to reach playable framerates especially at lower resolutions.
- A renderer that works quite well for the most part bar a few rendering issues
- Local and online multiplayer support, from this release onwards
- Support for touch controls, also from this release onwards
- Ability to run at different resolutions, such as 480×272, for a better performance.
What got updated/added in version 0.6?
VitaQuake III 0.6 is quite a substantial release as it adds the following:
- Multiplayer support for both local (over a LAN) and online matches! This is a pretty big feature considering that Quake III Arena is meant to be played with other people.
- Touch screen controls have been added but unfortunately, there’s no way to turn them off!
- The renderer’s code was improved so that now, the game runs better. From my short play session at 480×272, I could notice that the framerate was around 30-60FPS in maps Q3DM1/7 (local matches) almost all the time which is in pretty enjoyable territory!
- Bug fixes that include fixing textures that don’t get drawn in some maps and more!
It’s important to note that:
- Some multiplayer servers will not work and will crash the game!
- If you had VitaQuake III 0.5 installed, you have to follow special update instructions unless you fancy reinstalling the game’s data files.
To get VitaQuake III 0.6, simply open VHBB and install the new version from there. You may install the VPK separately if you have VitaQuake III 0.5 then follow the special instructions to get the game working.
Wololo /talk release post (changelog + more info + special update instructions): http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=48955&start=10
Download link: http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/375
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante
Rinnegatamante’s Twitter page (further updates to be found here): https://twitter.com/Rinnegatamante