vitaXash 3D (Half-Life port) updated to version 4 – Counter Strike support, big stability improvements, better performance and more!
With VitaGL by Rinnegatamante, the PSVita got some new and exciting homebrew that uses the GPU for 3D graphics. Now, the Half Life port for the PSVita, which is called vitaXash 3D, has been updated to version/release 4 and has support for the famous Counter Strike!
What is vitaXash 3D?
vitaXash 3D is a port of an open-source Half-Life engine to the PSVita. The engine used is Xash3D-FWGS which is available on various platforms such as Windows PCs, Android and iOS devices.
The PSVita port was made possible with the release of VitaGL as Half-Life requires hardware acceleration to run at a playable speed. vitaXash 3D has the following features:
- Support for Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force and now, Counter Strike client.
- Decent performance (20+ FPS almost all of the time) at the PSVita’s native resolution (960×544). This keeps on getting better with new versions of vitaXash 3D.
- Sound support
- Touch-screen support for controlling the game
- Many other features like mod support!
What got updated/added in version 4?
vitaXash 3D release 4 brings about the following:
- Support for the famous Counter Strike (NOT CS:GO) game! Only the client is supported so you can’t host games from your PSVita but you can play on other Xash3D servers with players on Android/iOS.
- The game got a new launcher, that looks quite clean, which lets you choose between the games you have installed (that is CS, Half-Life and the others)
- Greatly improved stability due to it using extended memory mode which allows it another 109MB of RAM and because of VitaGL fixes.
- More screen resolutions are now supported and the controls were improved.
- Assorted bug fixes.
As you can see, this is a pretty big update and it’s recommended you grab it if you plan to play Half-Life, CS or any HL mods on your PSVita since it’ll work better than release 3!
To install it, follow the instructions in the link below and make sure to also copy the files from ‘data.zip’ to your PSVita and not only install the new VPK!
To get vitaXash 3D, simply follow the link below and follow the instructions from there. You need the original game files if you plan to play HL,CS or any paid HL-based games that this engine supports. A demo can also be used if you don’t have the game files!
Issues should be reported in a civil manner through the GitHub link below.
vitaXash 3D GitHub link (download link + changelog + install instructions): https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/vitaXash3D/releases/latest
VitaDB link (it’s available on VHBB with the Half Life:Uplink (demo) files so it’s ready to play): http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/365