VitaShell 1.83 released – Automatic updating fixed and a new installation method must be followed!
Recently, TheFlow has acquired some free time and he not only released a hack for firmware 3.65 (installable from FW 3.60) but he’s also maintaining VitaShell. This time around, he released VitaShell 1.83, a release which fixes a major issue!
What is VitaShell?
VitaShell is probably the most well-known piece of software by HENkaku/taiHEN users. It is a file manager by TheFlow with a whole slew of features, that was created back in the Rejuvenate days. VitaShell has the following features:
- Ability to delete/copy/cut/paste files and folders, even between partitions (ux0,ur0,imc0,uma0).
- It can be used as an FTP server so that you can copy files to your Vita wirelessly.
- You can turn your PSVita into a Mass Storage device like a pen drive which allows faster copying over of files from your computer.
- A photo viewer and music player.
- Support for FW 3.60 and 3.65 (3.67 is also supported for when a hack lands)
- Many other features including full theme support, automatic updating and installing VPK files.
What got updated in VitaShell 1.83?
VitaShell 1.83 brings about the following:
- Automatic network updating (you know, that notification that tells you that a new version is available and lets you install it) has been fixed! This was broken because GitHub stopped supporting TLS 1.0/1.1 as they could pose a security risk.
- VitaShell no longer has a changelog (version history in LiveArea speech).
As you can see, this is a very important update because it fixes automatic updating which, in my opinion, is a very useful feature. Due to this, the installation method for VitaShell 1.83 is different.
If you’re still on FW 3.60, you can use this method:
- Download the VPK from the link below and copy it to your Vita/PSTV
- Open MolecularShell (it contains VitaShell 1.43)
- Delete ux0:/patch/VITASHELL <— This must be done because now, automatic updating works differently
- Install the VPK (of VitaShell 1.83)
- Enjoy VitaShell 1.83 and its ability to automatically update
If you’re on FW 3.65 or don’t have MolecularShell for some reason, you must do the following:
- Download the VPK from the link below and rename it as a ZIP file
- Copy the ZIP file you just got to your Vita
- Open the ZIP file in VitaShell and copy the ‘eboot.bin’ file from the archive to ux0:/app/VITASHELL/
- Accept the replace this file prompt
- Close VitaShell and re-open it.
- Enjoy VitaShell 1.83
It is recommended you do a (Q)CMA backup of VitaShell if you’re on FW 3.65 so that you can easily reinstall VitaShell if you mess something up!
To get VitaShell 1.83, simply follow the links below and download the VPK. If you have any issues, report them in a civil manner to TheFlow on GitHub.
VitaShell 1.83 GitHub release page (download link + full change log): https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases/tag/1.83
TheFlow’s Twitter (future updates): https://twitter.com/theflow0
TheFlow’s PayPal donation link (directly from his Twitter): https://www.paypal.me/PSVitaTheFloW/