VitaQuake updated to version 2.9 – Better performance, gyroscope aiming, transparent HUD and more!
With the hard work of Rinnegatamante, the Vita has more than one good hardware accelerated FPS game (the only official one being Killzone: Mercenary in my opinion). This time around, he’s updated VitaQuake to version 2.9 so that we get an even better experience!
What is VitaQuake?
As the title implies, VitaQuake is a port of the engine of the famous Quake game that was released in 1996. VitaQuake is a fully fledged port that has the following features:
- 3D hardware acceleration (via the GPU) thanks to VitaGL
- Mod support
- Great performance. It runs at native resolution at 60FPS almost all the time.
- Sound support
- Ability to control the game with the PSVita’s gyroscope
- Many more features such as Dualshock rumbling and multiplayer
What got updated in VitaQuake version 2.9?
VitaQuake version 2.9 brings about the following:
- Better performance and less RAM usage thanks to more optimised code.
- Gyroscope support so that you can control the game by moving your Vita around.
- The HUD can now be transparent.
- Improvements to the game engine such as fixes when it comes to drawing shadows.
- Many other bug fixes.
To check how well VitaQuake works, I played the first 2 levels of VitaQuake and I can say that it performs beautifully. I had no noticeable performance dips and couldn’t notice any rendering issues either. The gyroscope feature also works pretty well when used together with the right analogue stick.
I would personally like to see an option to enable the gyroscope for the horizontal axis ONLY since I personally find it annoying that the camera could go up and down if I don’t hold my PSVita very steadily.
To get this homebrew, simply go to VHBB on your PSVita/PSTV and install it from there. VHBB also installs the shareware data files so you’re ready to start gaming without copying anything else. If you have the full data files, you may put them in ux0:/data/Quake.
Wololo /talk update post (full changelog): http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=46185&start=190#p421734
Wololo /talk thread (more info + place where you can report issues): http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=46185
VitaDB link (download link if you wish to install it manually): http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/10
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (if you wish to donate a buck or two for his excellent work): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante