Bookr Mod Vita properly released – Read PDF, CBZ, ePub, FB2 files directly on your PSVita!
Finally, after years, the PlayStation Vita has a decent book/comic reader that can read normal files and functions exactly as you’d expect! Thanks to developer ‘pathway27’, you may now use the Vita’s great OLED screen (if you have a Fat model) to read all the books and comics/manga you want.
What is Bookr Mod Vita?
Back in March of 2017, Bookr Mod Vita 0.1 was released as GekiHEN contest entry. Unfortunately, version 0.1 didn’t do much as it only opened TXT files but fortunately, the developer has decided to work further on it and the result is pretty awesome to say the least!
First of all, this is a work in progress build so not everything works but the basics function correctly. This is what’s currently working:
- The reader can handle PDF, CBZ, ePub, FB2 and HTML files thanks to muPDF
- Basic controls, such as changing pages and whatnot, work fine
- The UI itself is intact and mostly functioning.
On the flip side, some things such as rotation, zooming and bookmarks aren’t working but it is important to keep in mind that this is a version 0.2.1 release of something that’s not easy to port!
Some Testing of Bookr Mod Vita
I tested the following with Bookr Mod Vita:
- An ePub version of “The Heart of the Matter”. This rendered well.
- A PDF version of ‘C Primer Plus’ which displayed without issues.
- A CBZ version of Angel Beats Volume 1 that was about 100MB in size. Rendering was flawless
- A PDF version of the first volume of ‘Kaichou Wa Maid-sama!’. This also displayed without any issues.
To get this homebrew, simply download it from the link below and install the VPK on your PSVita through VitaShell. Right now, it isn’t available on VitaDB but it’ll probably be there soon so that you could install it directly on your Vita!
If you have any issues, report them to ‘pathway27’ on the GitHub link below!
GBATemp thread (more in-depth info about the homebrew): https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-bookr-mod-vita-0-2-0.496911/
GitHub release page (download link for v0.2.1 and more info): https://github.com/pathway27/bookr-mod-vita/releases/tag/v0.2.1
Congratulations to the pathway27 for making a proper version of Bookr Mod Vita and giving something that various members of the community requested for quite a while!