TheFlow likely doing something with firmware 3.65/3.67 on the PSVita, such as porting VitaShell – What may be going on? What should you do?
As many know, the missing piece of the puzzle in the Vita homebrew scene is the ability to play games that require firmware 3.61 or higher. Now, with TheFlow’s work, that part of the puzzle might finally be fitted in!
What do we know so far?
So far, we don’t know an awful lot BUT we can deduce some things from the following:
- A few days ago, TheFlow asked if anybody has a PSVita devkit running FW 3.65 or 3.67. This *could* indicate that he is working on something relating to those firmwares.
- Then, a couple of hours ago, he tweeted a cryptic tweet reading “It took me exactly one year”. This could mean that he’s finally finished working on a huge project such as hacking FW 3.61+ OR, as a Reddit user said, he might’ve perfected his favourite recipe although the Redditor doubts he would post this on his twitter account.
- Perhaps the most revealing bit of news of all is a very recent commit to VitaShell reading “Ported VitaShell to 3.67”
- It is also important to mention that Download Enabler, one of the most useful plugins for the Vita since it lets you download all types of files through the browser, also got updated to support FW 3.67.
As you can see, what we know already got a lot of us excited but caution should always be exercised when we’re not sure about the facts.
What you should and shouldn’t do
With little doubt, we can say that TheFlow has achieved something important, possibly involving firmwares higher than 3.60. However, we can’t know how much of that will be useful to
the average taiHEN user if TheFlow decides to release his work.
This is what you shouldn’t do:
- If you’re on firmware 3.60, don’t update to any newer firmware since we don’t have anything concrete just yet.
- If you’re on firmware 3.61-3.65 and you wish to hack your device, don’t update to 3.67 since older versions have more vulnerabilities that could be exploited so your chances of getting a hack are better if you’re on a lower firmware.
- Don’t bug or harass TheFlow for ETAs on Twitter or elsewhere.
- Verify all news yourself if someone claims to have a link with some new hack from TheFlow. Remember, scammers are all over the internet!
As for now, you can only do two things to follow up on what’s going on. These are checking TheFlow’s twitter/GitHub and the vitahacks subreddit. Let’s all hope to some awesome news from TheFlow, a great developer who’s already given us so much!
TheFlow’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/theflow0
TheFlow’s GitHub: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW
Vitahacks Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/
VitaShell 3.67 support commit: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/commit/0a399ea2c4537c9d8de08f81dd69f4dcae9cc50c
Download Enabler 3.67 support commit: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/DownloadEnabler/commit/af0824d3ef10b823c48444e74704dc853c91b054