VitaShell 1.78 (and 1.77) released – More archives supported and many bug fixes!
To start the new year on a good foot, TheFlow has decided to update VitaShell for us all. VitaShell 1.77 (and the bug fix release 1.78) bring about a somewhat important feature that could save you a considerable amount of time.
What is VitaShell?
VitaShell is a homebrew utility that needs no introduction as it’s installed on probably 99% of all HENkaku/taiHEN-enabled devices in one form or another! This utility is the ultimate file manager for the Vita since it has the following features:
- The ability to copy/cut/paste files and folders, even between different partitions (ur0,uma0 and ux0 are the partitions I’m talking about).
- Picture/Audio/SFO viewers.
- The ability to extract various archive types such as zip, rar, 7z, tar and much more.
- FTP server functionality so that you could copy files to your Vita.
- Ability to use your PSVita as a USB mass storage device so you could copy files to it as you would on a pen drive/external HDD.
- Many more features such as theme support and QR code reading!
What got updated/changed in VitaShell 1.78 (and 1.77)?
VitaShell 1.78 (and 1.77) brought about the following:
- Support for 7z, tar.gz, tar.bz2, tar and many other formats that are supported by libarchive – v1.77
- Opening archives should be much faster since the archive file system got improved – v1.77
- A keyboard freezing bug was fixed – v1.77
- File browser cursor correction was fixed – v1.77
- The Electron theme had a visual glitch fixed and the settings (that you trigger by pressing START) got a new look! – v1.77
- A bug was fixed in which archives larger than 2GB couldn’t be opened – v1.78 (it’s a bug fix release)
It is recommended you update to VitaShell 1.78 since it contains many bug fixes and a feature that you may end up using quite a lot, especially if you have DownloadEnabler on your Vita/PSTV! Now that this is out, it’s recommended you uninstall my small
7zShell tweak from your device if you have it installed!
To get it, simply open VitaShell while connected to WiFi and you’ll get a prompt asking you to update! If you can’t do that, copy the VPK via USB and install it via MolecularShell. If you have any issues, report them to TheFlow in the issues tab on GitHub!
GitHub release page (download link + changelog for v1.78): https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases/tag/1.78
GitHub changelog for v1.77 (don’t use this link to get the VPK!): https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases/tag/1.77