An explanation to what ReNpDrm is and why you should be excited about it
If you’ve been following the Vita scene for the last few weeks, you’ve probably heard of ReNpDrm by CelesteBlue. Unfortunately, there isn’t one concise thread/post about what it actually is and what it achieves so this article is here to clear up what ReNpDrm exactly is.
What is ReNpDrm? What does it do?
ReNpDrm is a kernel plugin for HENkaku/taiHEN-enabled PSVita/PSTV consoles by CelesteBlue (ePSP Bubble Installer and co-developer of Firmware Reinstaller). ReNpDrm constantly refreshes the system’s activation files so that it achieves its purpose of granting unrestricted access to PSN.This plugin will bring along the following:
- Activation for unactivated consoles (or consoles that Sony rudely deactivated..) so that you can play your legally purchased digital games again!
- Full access to PSN will be restored without the possibility of losing your activation files.
- You will be able to purchase and download games from PSN again so you needn’t pirate games if you want to run them off your memory card! This is particularly great if you wish to benefit from the somewhat regular PSN sales!
- Applications such as LiveTweet can also be downloaded so you can get access to the slim suite of smartphone-esque applications again!
This plugin doesn’t bring this stuff along:
- You won’t be able to run games that require FW 3.61 or above but you can download them.
- It won’t let you download games you don’t own (just in case you thought you could steal off PSN..)
This plugin should be available on the 25th of December (Christmas day, duh) so don’t ask CelesteBlue to release it before! After you get the games/apps you want, make sure to back them up via QCMA just in case Sony releases an update forcing ReNpDrm to stop working!
In a few words, this plugin lets you access PSN without any restrictions as if you were on an OFW console!
ReNpDrm countdown website (+ videos): http://renpdrm.customprotocol.com/
After reading some of the reader’s concerns, I spoke to CelesteBlue and sorted out the following.
ReNpDrm consists of two plugins:
- restore.suprx which patches SceStore/SceSettings/SceShell
- renpdrm.skprx which pathces SceNpDrm
CelesteBlue states that you could only run a chance of getting banned while activating your console so I wouldn’t suggest using this with your main account but you only need to activate if your act.dat isn’t valid. This means that if your act.dat is valid, you run 0 risk of being banned according to CelesteBlue (neither I nor Wololo take responsibility for bricked consoles)
CelesteBlue can’t confirm whether online multiplayer works or not as he hasn’t tested it out.