Tutorial: How to use PS3Xploit to hack your PS3 and go directly to Rebug 4.81.2! (Noob friendly)
Disclaimer: This guide is meant to be as accurate as possible and I’ve tried it myself. That being said, neither I nor Wololo are responsible for bricked consoles as a result of not following the instructions. You’re expected to do more research beforehand!
Now that PS3Xploit has been out for a couple of days, it is safe to say that it won’t brick your console unless you want it to. This tutorial is here to provide a concise guide on how to hack your PlayStation 3 and install one of the most popular (and feature packed CFWs), that is Rebug 4.81.2.
1. Checking if you can hack your PS3
Before you start, it’s important to read this:
- Check whether you PlayStation 3 is hackable or not!
- All PlayStation 3 consoles that have a model number of 3xxx or 4xx ARE UNHACKABLE AND WILL BE BRICKED IF YOU USE THIS HACK.
- FAT Consoles (original ones) are completely safe but make sure to distinguish between NOR and NAND when it comes to flashing them.
- Slim (2xxx) consoles are mostly safe but some late 25xx consoles aren’t (some date code 1B have a min FW of 3.60). They need to have a minimum downgrade firmware of 3.56 or below which you can find out with this guide.
- PS3XPLOIT ONLY WORKS WITH OFW (OFFICIAL FW) 4.82 SO DON’T TRY IT ON 4.81 OR LOWER. DON’T DARE TRY IT ON A CFW OR YOU’LL BRICK YOUR CONSOLE AND NO AMOUNT OF CRYING WILL BRING IT BACK UNLESS YOU HAVE AN E3 FLASHER (MAYBE).
To check whether your console can be hacked or not (this is for 25xx consoles or if you don’t know the model number of your PS3 Slim), you can do the following:
- Get on your PC and do the following:
- Download the minchkver PUP file from the link below and extract the RAR file.
- Grab a USB pendrive that’s formatted as FAT32 and create a folder called PS3. Inside the newly created ‘PS3’ folder, create a folder called UPDATE.
- From the RAR file of minchkver, you’ll get a file called PS3UPDAT.PUP. Copy that to the PS3/UPDATE folder on your pendrive. Disconnect the pendrive from your computer
- Get on your PS3 and do the following:
- Connect your pendrive to the right-most (closest to the BD drive) port.
- Navigate to Settings->System Update->Update via Storage Media
- You’ll get a prompt asking you whether you want to initialise the version checker, press OK (usually with the button X)
- If your PS3 returns 3.56 or below, it’s safe; you may proceed. If your PS3 returns 3.60 or higher, STOP because the exploit will brick your console. (The manufacturing date of your console doesn’t matter as long as the minimum FW is 3.56 or below, mine had date code 1A and it had minimum FW 3.50 so the exploit worked perfectly)
2. Downloading and copying the necessary files
You need the following 2 files to proceed:
- The flsh.hex file (the file that’ll be flashed to your PS3 to allow it to install a CFW of your choice).
- The MODIFIED PUP file of Rebug 4.81.2 by Thibobo. Don’t use a stock Rebug 4.81.2 PUP file because it will not work or worse yet brick your console! The Thibobo file has its Syscon modified so you can install it directly from OFW 4.82 after you run the exploit.
What you need to do now is this:
- Get on your PC and connect back the pendrive you were using.
- After you download “NOR_NAND_writer_release_1.0_PS3Xploit.ZIP”, extract it and look for ‘flsh.hex’. Copy that to the root directory of your pendrive (for example E:\)
- Now, rename the modified Rebug PUP file from “Rebug 4.81.2 REX 4.82Syscon Thibobo.PUP” to “PS3UPDAT.PUP”. Copy the “PS3UPDAT.PUP” (modified Rebug 4.81.2 PUP file you just renamed) to the PS3/UPDATE folder on your pendrive. Hit replace if you had used minchkver before.
- Remove the pen drive from your computer (use safely remove hardware if on Windows to be safe) and connect it to right most port on your PS3 (closest to the Blu-Ray drive)
I would suggest you also check the MD5 hash of the files on your pendrive to be 100% certain they’re fine (bad files could lead to bricks!).
flsh.hex MD5: 8E156C99101BF36EC3EDB832982AE46D
Thibobo’s Rebug 4.81.2 modded PUP: BEABB70067E56DAFCFAE466E1218C1C2
3. Running the exploit
Now that you have all the files prepped on your pendrive (which should be connected to your PS3), you may proceed to actually running the exploit. I will be using Red’s website for this but you can do a web server yourself if you’re overly paranoid about it.
- Make sure the pen drive is in the right-most port of your PS3 nearest to the Blu-Ray drive.
- Turn on Wi-Fi or plug in an Ethernet cable so that you’re connected to the internet.
- Take a deep breath and open the web browser (Network->Internet Browser).
- Now, press Triangle and a menu will pop up on the right hand side.
- Select Tools->Home Page->Use Blank Page. Optional step but it was the only way how it the exploit got triggered for me, it just kept failing without this step.
- Press START and enter the following address (depending on your PS3 model – check the chart to the right; may be found at Red’s exploit site. NOR consoles must follow the NOR link while NAND consoles must follow the NAND link).
- For NOR consoles (most Slims and some FATs): http://redthetrainer.com/ps3/norNandWriter/nor-482.html
- For NAND consoles (early FATs – depending on model number): http://redthetrainer.com/ps3/norNandWriter/nand-482.html
- Go directly to these web pages rather than navigating through Red’s website.
- Read the instructions on the page and run the exploit.
- If the exploit fails after 10 times, you’re safe to reload the page (it tells you to do so itself). With the optional step, it immediately worked.
- When the exploit succeeds, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PS3 AND LET IT SHUTDOWN BY ITSELF. IT SHOULD BEEP 3 TIMES.
- Now, boot up your PS3. Congrats, you may now install a CFW! (I got a notice that some files may be corrupted as my PS3 shut down by itself due to the exploit – You must ignore it so just press Cancel (O for most).)
4. Installing the CFW
- Remember the PUP file (Rebug 4.81.2 modified by Thibobo) that we copied to the pendrive before? We’re gonna use it now.
- Go to Settings->System Update->Update via Storage Media
- You’ll get a prompt asking you whether you want to install the CFW. Accept the license terms and proceed
- Rebug 4.81.2 should get installed after a minute or two!
- Your PS3 will reboot. To check if the CFW got installed, check if the boot logo changed to Rebug from PS3 (and the version number from Settings->System Settings->System Information to 4.81 🙂
- You’re done! Now you may go grab a warm cup of coffee and start enjoying your hacked PS3!
5. Conclusion and Links
I hope this guide made you more secure on installing CFW on your PS3! This is meant to be a concise version of the many instructions found on many different websites that slightly differ with all the required information and an extra tip here and there! Video tutorials are available on YouTube if that’s your thing but I’d still suggest giving this written tutorial a look to be 100% sure you understood how it works!
Minchkver file: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1OJQOQYM/
Archive where you could get flsh.hex from: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0ZKCBWGC/NOR_NAND_writer_release_1.0_PS3Xploit.zip_links
Thibobo’s modified PUP file: https://twitter.com/OfficialThibobo/status/934140012450467840
Links above are from PSX-HAX (mirror site): https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps3xploit-4-82-cfw-on-ofw-nor-nand-flash-writer-nor-dumper.3112/
PSX Place Link (good FAQ +original source of files): http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3xploit-now-install-cfw-from-4-82-ofw-nor-nand-software-flash-writer-nor-dumper-released.15500/
Big thanks to everybody who took part in PS3Xploit. PS3Xploit Team (@bguerville, @esc0rtd3w, @smhabib and W) are the lot who made this all possible 🙂 Sorry that I didn’t mention everybody but this article is very long already!