Tutorial: How to input all keyboard keys on Basilisk II with rsn8887’s imap file
Basilisk II on the Vita works pretty well so it’s the only way to properly play older (late 1980s-mid 1990s) PC games that don’t have a console/Vita native port. Games like SimCity 2000 that have lots of menus also work pretty well thanks to the fact that you can control the pointer with the touchscreen. Now, thanks to rsn8887, you can input text directly from your Vita like DosBox on the PSP.
How do I put this on my Vita? What’s the advantage of using this?
Basilisk II for the Vita, ported by meetpatty, works really well but it’s got one major drawback and that is the lack of keyboard input unless you use a bluetooth keyboard. This imap (key layout) file by rsn8887 that’s used for this tutorial lets you use different button combinations to insert specific letters, numbers and special characters. Some keys are hard to input but most are fine if you have something to remember them with.
To install this keymap, do the following:
- Download the Source Code (zip file) from the link below.
- Extract it and copy the ‘morekeys’ file (no file extension) to ux0:/data/BasiliskII/imaps via FTP or USB through VitaShell.
- Open Basilisk II on your Vita, let Mac OS boot and press SELECT. You’ll get the options in the screenshot.
- Press right till you choose the ‘morekeys’ keymap file and press ‘X’ to activate it.
- You’re done! For reference, just use the key reference (linked below) on another device. In the PSP days, I had a small piece of paper with all button combinations for DosBox so you could also do that.
To get the keymap file, just download the Source Code (ZIP) from the link below. If you have any problems, report them to rsn8887 on GitHub. Some button combinations (especially for special characters) are quite awkward on the Vita 1k due to a hard to press SELECT and START button but it’s not like you’ll be using the special characters very often. Hopefully, this will be included in a future release of Basilisk II for the Vita!
Download link (+ key reference): https://github.com/rsn8887/basiliskii-vita-imap-files/releases