RetroArch 1.6.6 released – New Mobile UI for Android and iOS
RetroArch is a great front-end for the emulation of many retro systems and libretro strives to keep on rolling updates to make the experience even better. This time around, RetroArch 1.6.6 got released which gives mobile users a much better UI.
RetroArch is a front-end for many emulators; this means that with one piece of software you can play and manage all your emulated games. Thanks to different RetroArch cores (which you have to download manually), you can emulate many systems such as:
- Various Nintendo consoles like the NES, SNES and Gameboy
- The PSX
- Various Sega consoles like the Genesis, Saturn and Game Gear
- Some computers (old Amiga computers) and game ports (Doom with the PrBoom port)
- Many other systems (including Arcade machines)
Obviously, you need to provide your own ROMs since RetroArch only provides the emulation software and a nice frontend to manage your games. Some systems, such as the GBA and Amiga computers, may require a BIOS or some other special files to be able to function at all.
RetroArch is available on various devices and operating systems such as:
- PCs running Windows 98 SE to Windows 10 (different versions have to be used since they’re compiled in a different way)
- Macintosh computers, even PowerPC ones on OS X 10.5
- Android (2.3+) and iOS
- The PS3, PSP, PSVita, XBox, Wii, GameCube and others
What’s changed in RetroArch 1.6.6?
RetroArch 1.6.6 brings along the following changes/additions:
- On mobile devices (i.e iOS and Android devices), RetroArch now uses MaterialUI, the
new UI for mobile devices. This one is easier to navigate and has a clean and modern look to it.
- Onscreen overlays now show button presses even when you press the buttons via a gamepad/keyboard.
- A regression fix for the Nintendo 3DS has been included. This fixes the forcibly enabled rewind function on all cores of the 3DS port.
- The Italian translation got updated.
- Various other bugfixes.
To update your version of RetroArch, just go to the RetroArch website and follow the instructions. Various instructions are available for different devices so make sure to follow the instructions for your specific device.
RetroArch website: http://retroarch.com/
RetroArch 1.6.6 changelog (more in depth information): https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-6-6-released/