VitaShell 1.6 released – USB storage support on PSTV!
Yes, the day that many of us have been waiting for is finally with us! VitaShell 1.6, by the legendary developer ‘TheFlow’, has been released. TheFlow just can’t stop developing stuff for the Vita community.. he’s on a roll.
VitaShell is the most basic and well-known homebrew for the PSVita. It’s bundled with HENkaku but it started its life in the Rejuvinate days so it’s had quite a few hours of development time on it. VitaShell is a file manager which has multiple features but its developer has added some amazing features to it such as allowing the Vita to be used as a mass storage device when connected to a computer and now USB mass storage support on the PSTV/Vita TV.
Most people know the biggest new feature but you may miss some. This is the list:
- You may now mount a USB mass storage device (pendrive/external HDD) to your PSTV/Vita TV via USB and use it as ux0! This allows you to avoid buying an expensive Vita memory card.
- You can mount game carts as USB devices
- Long file names now scroll
- An option to refresh LiveArea has been added
- Sort By option added
- Various bug fixes
- A theme selector
- ‘Electron’ theme by Acemad, who won TheFlow’s contest is now a part of VitaShell
As you can see, it’s quite a big update, even for PSVita owners. A word about USB mass storage devices and the PSTV: Not all devices may work due to power requirements! Some external hard drives may require a powered USB hub!
This is quite a big release and you should get it immediately by updating from your VitaShell app. If you can’t, follow the link to download it from GitHub. It’s unsafe so don’t trust other sources. Congrats ‘TheFlow’ for your hard work and ‘Acemad’ for the great theme!
P.S: USB SUPPORT ON THE PSTV HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED SO EXPECT ISSUES. BE CIVIL AND REPORT TO ‘THEFLOW’ IF YOU ENCOUTER ISSUES.