UAE4All Mod updated to v1.36, hi-res support added
Developer rsn8887 keeps working faster than I can keep up with and adding new stuff to his version of UAE4All. This emulator has come so far since its original release – mostly at the hands of rsn8887 – that I keep thinking there’s nothing more to be added. However, I’m sure the developer will prove me wrong by releasing a few more updates fixing stuff I had no idea needed fixing, or adding a few more features.
These last three releases cover the loading of games using hdf files, which make games have much swifter loading times and adding support for a higher output resolution. That latter addition is my favorite since the text was pretty terrible at 320 and now it looks much better (see below). I can also tell the loading times have been improved by switching to an hdf file so all-in-all, it’s another great update.
What is UAE4All Mod?
UAE4All is a popular emulator of the Amiga 500/1200 computer that has been ported to many platforms from the PC to the Dreamcast and Pandora. It was ported for us PS Vita users by developer cpajuste of ScummVM Vita fame. The emulator is fully featured and runs fullspeed and is the better alternative to the old PSPUAE emulator that you could run on the Vita’s PSP emulator. This mod version has been developed by rsn8887 and is based on cpajuste‘s source and it improves the emulator greatly in all areas you could wish for.
Changelog for UAE4All Mod v1.36
- added measures to prevent file corruption: Disabled PS button because it caused corruption of hdf files; display a warning about file corruption if the Amiga is writing to hdf while the user tries to exit the program
- fix hdf size checking
- fixed up some menu text
- adjusted quickswitch screenmodes by two pixels
- now upto four hdf files can be mounted. From my own testing, it looks like 2 Gb is the hdf size limit. Geometry for each file can be changed by manually editing the config file, default is sectors:surfaces:reserved:blocksize=32:1:2:512 for files <1 GB, 32:2:2:512 for files >1Gb and 32:4:2:512 for files >2Gb. Only files <=2 Gb seem to work.
- hires support (e.g. 640*256), switchable in display menu. (Select a screen mode with “640” as width in the first option of the display menu, and the Workbench will be rendered with every pixel. A width of “320” reverts back to old behavior.)
Instructions for UAE4All
- Install vpk
- Copy Amiga kickstart 1.3 and 3.1 roms (BIOS files) into the ux0:/data/uae4all/kickstarts and rename them kick13.rom and kick31.rom respectively (Google the files, they are relatively easy to find)
- Put disks (adf) in “ux0:/data/uae4all/roms”
Select = toggle menu
Start+Select = toggle virtual keyboard (hold start then press select)
Start+dpad up/down = move screen up down or move virtual keyboard up and down when active
Start+dpad left/right = change screenmode (to zoom in on games with borders)
Right analog stick = analog mouse (can switch this to left in menu)
Left analog stick = acts as amiga joystick
Dpad = acts as amiga joystick
When custom controls are off:
Square = joystick button autofire (can be customized)
X = joystick button (can be customized)
R+Square = CTRL
R+Circle = LALT
R+Cross = HELP
L+Square = left mouse
L+Circle = right mouse
R+dpad = arrow keys
When custom mouse controls are on:
Dpad = digital mouse
Triangle = slow mouse down
Thanks to Cpasjuste for the original port and jumping in to add shader support
Thanks to ScHlAuChi for extensive testing and for a new virtual keyboard image and ideas.
Download UAE4All Mod
To download the UAE4Aall Mod, just head over to either rsn8887‘s GitHub release page or his thread on the wololo.net forums. If you wish to leave him feedback or suggestions you can do so in the release thread. To download the vpk directly, you can do so by clicking here.