VitaPad 1.1 with VJoy support, mimics X360 controller
One of the great things about homebrew is getting our devices to do things they weren’t meant to. Rinnegatamante‘s VitaPAD is once such homebrew. Using your PS Vita as a PC controller is a great alternative to buy an expensive PS4/Xbox One controller. In theory you can still get a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller – my preference there goes with 360 – but controller redesigns usually mean a more comfortable experience. But we’re not here to talk about that, but rather developers Evengard‘s alterations to VitaPAD.
According to the developer himself this should make VitaPAD work as a X360 controller instead of as a generic controller:
There is a virtual gamepad driver called VJoy (from the Rejuvenate times some people might remember using PSVPAD for the same thing that VitaPad does right now, it used that driver to get things done). I’ve added it’s support (trying to mimic as close as possible an XBox 360 controller with it) to the VitaPad application, so that now after installing VJoy and launching VitaPad with the setting in the configuration file it will act as actually a controller (and be detected by games as a controller).
If you can’t afford a good controller then this could be a viable alternative for you.
Instructions for VitaPAD Evengarde Mod
- Download and install VitaPAD the archive provided by Evengard here (in you already have VitaPAD, you don’t need to install the vpk).
- Download and install the VJoy drivers from here. This will install the needed driver.
- In the windows.xml file provided by Evengard, change the setting <VJOY_MODE>o</VJOY_MODE> to <VJOY_MODE>1</VJOY_MODE>.
- Note: The <VJOY_ALTERNATE> mode in the configuration file will bind the bumpers to the right stick instead of the touch screen areas.
- Start up VitaPAD.exe and it should work.
Evengard had two more things to add when asked why you can’t press both triggers at the same time (credit to reddit user dam_teenagers):
About the triggers – yes, that’s a known bug. Unfortunately vjoy doesn’t support more axes than 8, for the separate LT and RT a 9th and 10th axes are required. I might also add it duplicate the signal to a button so it could more easy be rebinded, but still seeking for a normal solution about it.
I might try to rewrite with the experimental API of VJoy which have a more complete XBox support. Maybe another release will come but it will be more advanced user oriented.
So there you have it. Enjoy the release!