UAE4All Mod 1.26 released, improvements to virtual keyboard (update)
(Since the original writing of this article – which wasn’t long ago – developer rsn8887 has pushed another update upping UAE4All Mod to 1.26. This article has been updated to reflect those changes)
It may be Christmas but that doesn’t mean releases stop coming! Developer rsn8887 has been pretty active as of late working on his mod for UAE4ALL. He picked up work after the initial release and decided to optimize it as best he could for a better experience on the PS Vita.
This latest update brings upgrades to the virtual keyboard featured in the last release. In this specific case, its a overhaul of the existing keyboard into a better reworked one (the shift modifier is more than welcome!). You can now also move the position of the virtual keyboard at your leisure with a key combo.
What is UAE4All Mod?
UAE4All is a popular emulator of the Amiga 500/1200 computer that has been ported to many platforms from the PC to the Dreamcast and Pandora. It was ported for us PS Vita users by developer cpajuste of ScummVM Vita fame. The emulator is fully featured and runs fullspeed and is the better alternative to the old PSPUAE emulator that you could run on the Vita’s PSP emulator. This mod version has been developed by rsn8887 and is based on cpajuste‘s source and it improves the emulator greatly in all areas you could wish for.
Changelog for UAE4All Mod v1.26
- virtual keyboard transparency is now adjustable (START+dpad left/right)
- fixed bug in virtual keyboard initialization where the keyboard send an endless string of ‘ symbols on boot up before it was first opened
- vastly improved virtual keyboard: The image is now bigger, supports more keys including the shift modifier, and is transparent (thanks to ScHlAuChi for the new keyboard image and many ideas)
- Fixed virtual keyboard not reacting when custom dpad mode was active
- The virtual keyboard can now be moved up and down using start+dpad up and start + dpad down.
Instructions for UAE4All
- Install vpk
- Copy Amiga kickstart 1.3 and 3.1 roms (BIOS files) into the ux0:/data/uae4all/kickstarts and rename them kick13.rom and kick31.rom respectively (Google the files, they are relatively easy to find)
- Put disks (adf) in “ux0:/data/uae4all/roms”
Select = toggle menu
Start+Select = toggle virtual keyboard (hold start then press select)
Start+dpad up/down = move screen up down or move virtual keyboard up and down when active
Start+dpad left/right = change screenmode (to zoom in on games with borders)
Right analog stick = analog mouse (can switch this to left in menu)
Left analog stick = acts as amiga joystick
Dpad = acts as amiga joystick
When custom controls are off:
Square = joystick button autofire (can be customized)
X = joystick button (can be customized)
R+Square = CTRL
R+Circle = LALT
R+Cross = HELP
L+Square = left mouse
L+Circle = right mouse
R+dpad = arrow keys
When custom mouse controls are on:
Dpad = digital mouse
Triangle = slow mouse down
Thanks to Cpasjuste for the original port and jumping in to add shader support
Thanks to ScHlAuChi for extensive testing and for a new virtual keyboard image and ideas.
Download UAE4All Mod
To download the UAE4Aall Mod, just head over to either rsn8887‘s GitHub release page or his thread on the wololo.net forums. If you wish to leave him feedback or suggestions you can do so in the release thread. To download the vpk directly, you can do so by clicking here.