FBI updated to v2.4.5, remote URL receiving reworked
In another day full of releases, developer Steveice10 has updated his popular FBI tool to version 2.4.5. This new version adds security measures as well as introducing a new way of reading the remote URLs.
As the security feature is concerned, you will now get a warning message when opening the NAND. As far as the URL stuff is concerned, you’d better read the changelog for the nitty-gritty information. This update also brings a speed-up in performance for n3DS users and an speed information display during copy operations.
What is FBI?
Aptly named (probably on purpose, though unconfirmed) because of its usage as a .cia file installer, FBI is a must-have tool on your 3DS. It allows you to install stuff on your 3DS from your SD Card, your PC via WiFi or from the internet using a QR code. It also doubles as a fully-featured file manager with all the features you’d expect out of one. It is available in every homebrew format created for the 3DS.
Changelog for 2.4.5
- Add warning when opening the NAND.
- Decrease buffer size of transfers over HTTP. Should help with speed.
- Display transfer speed in copy operations.
- Enable N3DS speed-up.
- Revise remote installation into a list of methods for receiving URLs.
- “Receive URLs over the network” – Listens on port 5000 for a length followed by a list of URLs, separated by new-line characters. Installs from the provided list of URLs, and sends a confirmation byte back when the installation has completed.
- “Scan QR Code” – Turns on the camera and scans for QR codes.
- “Manually enter URLs” – Opens up the software keyboard for manually typing URLs, separated by new-line characters.
- “Repeat last request” – Repeats the last set of URLs used in an installation request.
- “Forget last request” – Forgets the last set of URLs used in an installation request.
- servefiles: Adapt to “Receive URLs over the network” method of remote installation. Now only requires Python and no additional dependencies. Run with “python servefiles.py (ip) (file/directory)”.
To download the latest version of FBI you can do one of two things: either go to the release thread over at GBATemp or head over to steveice10‘s GitHub and get the files you need from there. If you prefer to download it directly from here, just click on whichever file you are going to use whether it is .3dsx, .3ds or .cia.