HENkaku Update Server, the easy way to update your PS Vita to FW 3.60
HENkaku is like a gift that keeps on giving. First we had homebrew, then we had firmware spoofing (sadly gone now) and finally we got a full custom firmware. However, not everyone is on firmware 3.60 to enjoy HENkaku and the guides to update your firmware to 3.60 without going to the most recent firmware can be quite complex for some people. With that said, YifanLu seems to agree and has created the HENkaku update server to help you do just that!
In the words of the man himself:
Previously, the steps would be very complicated and involve installing software or copying the right files. It also required you to download the 3.60 PUP and more than a few people have gotten the wrong files and accidentally updated to > 3.60.
Therefore to aid our new friends, I did a lot of the hard work and updating from anything lower than 3.60 to firmware 3.60 is as easy as ever.
There are two ways to go about this, the simple and the detailed way. My advice is for you to try out the simple one first, if that doesn’t work as intended, go into the detailed one. That may help in figuring out why the simple one didn’t work. Let’s go into each one now:
The Simple Way
Set your DNS to 184.108.40.206 and choose to update from Wi-Fi. Proceed only if the message says “A new version of the system software is available. Firmware 3.60 (変革 Compatible)”. That’s it!
He wasn’t kidding when he said it was simple, huh? Well if this doesn’t seem to work for you try the next one!
The Detailed Way
- Open the Settings app
- Select “Network”
- Select “Wi-Fi Settings”
- If you are not connected to the internet, do so now. Select your current connection (there should be a green dot to the left).
- Select “Advanced Settings”
- Under “DNS Settings” choose “Manual”
- Under “Primary DNS” set it to 220.127.116.11
- Leave “Secondary DNS” blank. Make sure “Proxy Server” is set to “Do Not Use”. Press OK.
- Back out to the main settings screen. Select “System Update” and then “Update Using Wi-Fi.”
- If you get an error saying your system is up to date, that means either your Vita is on 3.60 already or your Vita is > 3.60 and is not supported by HENkaku
- Otherwise you will see a pop-up saying there is a new update. Make sure the message says “3.60 (変革 Compatible)”! If the message does not say that, do not proceed and try to repeat these steps to see if you missed something.
- After ensuring you are updating to “3.60 (変革 Compatible)”, proceed with the steps on screen to update.
- After updating to 3.60, you can follow steps 1-5 again and then set “DNS Settings” to “Automatic”
If you keep your Vita’s DNS server set to 18.104.22.168, it will block any updates > 3.60 even if HENkaku is not currently installed. Additionally, you can type in go into the browser’s URL bar to activate HENkaku or beta.go to activate taiHENkaku
This last part for me is the best one. I hate that my Vita keeps nagging me all the time to update to the latest firmware it downloaded. With this, it seems like I’ll no longer have to worry about that. Thanks Yifan! The typing into the browser thing is also pretty useful and makes it easy to go for either HENkaku or taiHENkaku. Couldn’t ask for anything else.
Credits and technical details
All the work on this was done Yifan Lu and he deserves all the credit in the world for this. He does post a note you should read on how this server works:
We do not actually host the 3.60 update PUP both for legal reasons and also for bandwidth reasons. Instead, the PUP pointed to is http://web.archive.org/web/20160902205052/http://dus01.psp2.update.playstation.net/update/psp2/image/2016_0323/rel_cd80b3da55771c99557db552542dff2b/PSP2UPDAT.PUP which is hosted by archive.org. As such, archive.org limits the bandwidth if you download too many files. That means if you do something like keep trying to update and then cancel and then try to update again a couple of times, you might get rate limited by archive.org for a couple of minutes.
If the complex process of updating to 3.60 was stopping you from using HENkaku, you should no longer have that hurdle. You can now join us in all the homebrew goodness that HENkaku/taiHENkaku brings, along with a vastly superior PSPemu hack.
Welcome to the Golden Firmware everyone!