Adrenaline finally released, PSP goodness for all HENkaku users!
The day that many of you were so eagerly waiting for has finally come. TheFloW has decided to release an early version of his very hyped native PSPemu hack, Adrenaline. However, this brings both good and bad news: the good news being that you finally get to enjoy all the PSP games you want on HENkaku with no restrictions. The bad news is that TheFloW also announced that he is going on a small hiatus because of exams and will only be back by February, which prompted this early, slightly incomplete release of Adrenaline.
You heard it right, as of this current iteration Adrenaline is not fully featured. Some things are not currently working but TheFloW still plans to add them when time becomes available. The list of those things include:
These features are not included yet:
– 64MB RAM
– PS1 games support
– Ability to use ur0 as Memory Stick File System
That means that everything else is working and aside from PS1 games, which you have an alternative for, all the features you’d expect from a PSPemu are there (with a few extras!) and you get the full deal. You just won’t be able to enjoy the extra little goodies TheFloW said he’d add… for now. He says that should any critical bugs be found he will still get around fixing them, but you shouldn’t expect a new release until he is done with the exams. Now let’s get to the meat of the release shall we?
What is Adrenaline?
Adrenaline is a software that modifies the official PSP Emulator using taiHEN CFW framework to make it run a PSP 6.61 custom firmware. Thanks to the power of taiHEN, Adrenaline can inject custom code into the IPL which allows unsigned code to run at boot time.
Features for Adrenaline
What does Adrenaline currently support?
- VshMenu, Recovery menu
Differences between Adrenaline and TN-V?
- Ability to take screenshots using PS + START
- Ability to use the PS button as HOME button
- Ability to use a custom graphics filter
- No file system limitation by using a custom msfs.
How to install
- Install any PSP game/demo onto your PS Vita (compatiblity for PS1 games as bubble will be added in the future).
- Shutdown your PS Vita and visit http://beta.henkaku.xyz/.
- Launch molecularShell, press START and set ‘Enable unsafe homebrews’ to ‘On’.
- Open FTP by pressing SELECT and copy the ‘adrenaline’ folder from the archive and paste it at ‘ux0:pspemu/’.
- Download the 6.61 EBOOT.PBP (for 1000/2000/3000) from the Sony server (google it) and paste it at ‘ux0:pspemu/adrenaline/661.PBP’.
- Copy ‘ux0:tai/config.txt’ to your PC and overwrite it with these lines:
# You must reboot for changes to take place.
# henkaku.skprx is hard-coded to load and is not listed here
# main is a special titleid for SceShell
# this is for modifying the version string
Note that you replace TITLEID by the titleid of your PSP game (the name of the folder where EBOOT.PBP is).
- Reboot your device and revisit the page I have mentioned above.
- Launch the game for which you have added the plugin’s line to config.txt.
- Follow the instructions on screen.
How to use the Adrenaline Menu
Hold the PS button until the ‘Quick menu’ appears and choose ‘Settings’. This button will not open the official PSP settings menu as usually, but it will open the Adrenaline Menu instead (the official Settings menu will be accessible within Adrenaline Menu). As I have mentioned, the PS button will be used as HOME button, thus pressing it will not let you go back to the livearea. The only way you can exit the PSP Emulator is by clicking the ‘Exit PspEmu Application’ option.
You can switch tabs using L/R triggers, UP/DOWN to move, X/LEFT/RIGHT to change options and START/O to close the menu.
About custom graphics filtering
Right now, you have got four different options you can choose:
– Official: If this is selected, the official filtering will be used (the one choosed in the official settings).
– Bilinear GPU: The filter being applied by GPU does look a bit smoother than the official bilinear filtering.
– Sharp bilinear: This filter is an improved bilinear filter where scanlines are added to give it a sharper look.
– LCD3x: This filter has got vertical and horizontal scanlines and will make the screen a bit darker.
About right analog stick in games
The right analog patch for GTA LCS/GTA VCS will be downloaded from here: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/GTA_Remastered. Don’t think that any other games will now have right analog stick patch too 😉
Ok, that was a handful wasn’t it? It is a pretty complete release however so it was to be expected. Now be careful in following those instructions because TheFloW created some pretty good and thorough guidelines that are pretty much failproof as long as you follow them. To get your hands on the hottest release on the scene right now simply click here. Extract everything and start the set-up process with the instructions given.
Update: According to TheFloW his original release had a problem with the detection of 6.61 update file. We updated the download link accordingly, anyone having problems should stop having them. Have a good one
Update 2: I re-did the instructions part of TheFloW’s original instructions because it was giving problems to many people. Just overwrite the lines with the ones I put and it should work – don’t forget to change the TITLEID part. As a last resort you can download this by reddit user parkerlreed (and thanks to developer Red for linking me to it).
Update 3: If you are using a Mini as a base game (like me) games probably weren’t working. TheFloW has released another patch to fix issues for Mini users, click here to get it.
In the words of the developer himself: Enjoy! I know all of you have been eagerly awaiting this so I’m glad you finally get to use it!
Have a nice weekend filled with PSP games!