taiHENkaku updated to Beta 4, fixes critical bugs and improves stability
Pfft, once again a stability improvement from those guys at Sony… wait, no, I got my news mixed up here. This is a HENkaku update and it is actually full of major improvements and fixes.
Yesterday Yifanlu announced that taiHENkaku was updated to Beta 4. If you didn’t follow the events over the past few weeks, taiHENkaku is pretty much a full fledged CFW (or CFW framework, depending at how you look at it) for your PS Vita. It is, in other words, the evolution of HENkaku that will enable a bunch of crazy things such as plugins, the easy way.
According to the taiHENkaku changelog, this new version fixes some memory leaks, bugs, and crashes with hooks. This will not be useful directly to you as a end user, but people developing plugins will welcome these fixes. Maybe more critical for end users are the fixes with Dynarec, which will fix some emulators that had stopped working in previous versions. (Yifanlu mentions PCSX and mGBA)
The changelog also mentions a few known limitations. In particular, molecularShell will now only show the ux0: partition. This is intentional to make molecularShell a “safe” homebrew (safe homebrews are homebrews that don’t have access to all the features of the CFW, ensuring you can’t brick your PS Vita permanently). Most people have moved to the more powerful VitaShell by now, so I would expect people will not be impacted too much by this change.
Probably more importantly, taiHENKaku’s PSN Spoofing functionality is currently broken. The changelog advises that it might come back in the future.
The full changelog below:
大変革 Beta 4
Developers: Please make sure you are using the latest toolchain from (https://github.com/frangarcj/buildscripts/releases). We made a lot of changes so using an older toolchain to add taiHEN hooks will result in crashes! Also make sure to update your taiHEN development libraries to the latest version.
If you are not interested in helping test the beta, we recommend that you stick with the old stable release at (https://henkaku.xyz/) instead. To update the beta, reboot and visit http://beta.henkaku.xyz/ from your Vita’s browser. To remove the beta, delete molecularShell, reboot, and visit https://henkaku.xyz/ instead.
- Fixed many bugs that causes instability, memory leaks, and crashes with hooks. Full details here.
- Fixed dynarec issue resulting in many emulators including PCSX and mGBA not working.
- In the HENkaku installer, you can now hold R1 to reinstall everything and reset the configuration files for taiHEN and HENkaku. This will reset your
ux0:tai/config.txtin case you added a bad plugin that crashes the system.
- The installer will now block the PS Button since people still are accidently hitting it.
- PSN spoofing WILL break in a couple of days. Access might be restored at a later point, keep tuned.
- Sometimes, right after successful installation, the browser will either crash or show a black screen. This is okay, just press the PS button to exit manually.
- molecularShell now only shows
ux0:. This is part of the move to molecularShell being a safe homebrew while VitaShell has full powers. Please install VitaShell manually to access other partitions moving forward.
- If build the offline installer yourself and point it to beta.henkaku.xyz, you can use offline mode. The release builds will always point to HENkaku stable.
Please report any other issues to the issue tracker
Download taiHENkaku Beta 4
To install taiHENkaku Beta 4 on your PS Vita, point your Vita’s browser to http://beta.henkaku.xyz/. Remember that this is a beta, use at your own risk. People who want the latest official HENkaku release can point their PS Vita browser to the official site henkaku.xyz.
As a remember, you need a PS Vita running firmware 3.60 to run any of the tools mentioned in this article. If you own a PS Vita on 3.63 or 3.61, your best bet currently is to get a 3.60 Vita while they’re still around.
Source: YifanLu on twitter