taiHENkaku updated to Beta 3, VitaShell fixed
Not too long after its update to Beta 2, Yifan Lu pushed the next update to taiHENkaku upping its status to Beta 3. This version, on the user-side, is mostly a bugfix version that corrects the problems with VitaShell that weren’t fixed in the last beta; however on the developer side this beta facilitates the creation of plugins, making it easier for anyone who wants to create their plugins to do so. Here’s the full statement on that from Yifan himself:
The updated toolchain with support for plugin creation is almost done. Prebuilts for OSX/Windows/Linux should be up sometime this week, although I am not the main party in that project so don’t hold me to this. In the meantime, those who are brave can try building the latest toolchain themselves from vitasdk/buildscripts. With the new toolchain, you can add the taiHEN files to your toolchain installation to use the taiHEN APIs.
As usual remember: these first few releases have been mostly for developers, however you are invited to test and use taiHENkaku if you are willing to report stuff that doesn’t work on their GitHub here.
What is taiHENkaku?
In case you missed the original annoucement, taiHENkaku is the new version of our favorite “homebrew loader” ported to the new taiHEN framework that Team Molecule have been working on since the original HENkaku release. While it turns HENkaku into a fully-fledged custom firmware, it is currently in beta state and it is not recommended you update right away, unless you are willing to help beta test.
Changelog for taiHENkaku Beta 3
- VitaShell 1.42 is updated such that HENkaku configuration works and package installation from safe homebrew works.
- taiHENkaku now disables unsafe homebrew by default. See this PSA.
- From now on the beta disables CRC checks on taihen.skprx and henkaku.skprx. This allows developers to replace them with their own builds for testing. This also means that a corrupt taiHENkaku installation will crash the system.
- No cleanup support, if you load TONS of plugins, you might run out of memory.
- PSN spoofing WILL break in a couple of days. Access might be restored at a later point, keep tuned.
- Sometimes, right after successful installation, the browser will either crash or show a black screen. This is okay, just press the PS button to exit manually.
- molecularShell now only shows
ux0:. This is part of the move to molecularShell being a safe homebrew while VitaShell has full powers. Please install VitaShell manually to access other partitions moving forward.
- A reboot-crash happens after installation if taiHENkaku has already been installed before and a new download is not needed.
Download the taiHENkaku Beta
To update your PS Vita console to the latest version of taiHENkaku, point your Vita browser to the http://beta.henkaku.xyz/ address and it will install itself. In case you want to downgrade back to HENkaku R6 because you don’t feel the current version of taiHENkaku isn’t stable/compatible enough for you, just reboot your Vita and then open the normal address https://henkaku.xyz/ to go back to the older, stable version.