3DS Release: supermysterychunkhax, 3DS userland exploit for Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Developer Shinyquagsire released supermysterychunkhax, a 3DS exploit for those of you who own the Super Mystery Dungeon Pokemon game. The exploit will let you run the *hax services on your 3DS to run homebrews and other cool stuff.
The caveat is that in order to install the savegame to the cartridge, another “primary” exploit such as browserhax, or the cubic ninja exploit, is required. As such, people willing to get the exploit installed on their game will need the help of a friend (I’m now wondering if this could generate a black market of “already enabled” cartridges with the exploited save preinstalled). This is also useful for those of you who want to create such a cartridge, as a “backup” way to load your favorite exploits.
This exploit works on firmwares >=9.9 for US and JPN, >=10.2 for EUR systems. Interestingly, there’s a minimal firmware requirement here, due to the games requiring cartridge updates for these versions. Additionally, a very welcome feature of this exploit is that it can auto update in case of firmware update. There’s no guarantee Nintendo will not patch the exploit on higher firmwares though.
Download and install
Again, you’ll need an original cartridge of Pokémon super Mystery Dungeon to install and run the exploit.
From the developer’s readme:
- To launch *hax, first make sure you download and extract the latest homebrew starter kit to the SD card.
- To install the exploit to a Super Mystery Dungeon cartridge or digital download use the installer found here, extract it to your SD card and run it using the Homebrew Launcher. In the installer you will be prompted to select the appropriate version for the system and then the selected exploit version will be downloaded and installed.
- Note that installing supermysterychunkhax will wipe any existing savegame data, and the original game will not be able to be used while supermysterychunkhax is installed. As such it is suggested that a savegame backup be made before installing. For uninstallation, see below.
Updating and removal
- supermysterychunkhax includes a payload which allows the *hax payload to be updated in the event that a system update is released, without requiring the installer to be run again. To access this functionality, hold SELECT while the game is loading and you will be taken to a menu. In this menu, select Update *hax payload and select the version of the *hax payload you wish to install, and then press A to have it downloaded and installed to the savegame.
- In the event that you wish to return the cartridge to its original cleared save state, you can also select Clear savegame and your save will be wiped.
Users so far have received this exploit with mixed criticism. Some are questioning the usefulness of the exploit given that other exploits already exist, and because this one requires another “primary” entry point, but in general people are welcoming another exploit on a pretty popular game (a chance for more people to get access to homebrew), and the fact that the exploit is coming from another developer than Smealum and Yellows8. A scene with many active hackers and developers is always a good thing!