Wii U Hack: Hykem’s IOSU exploit on 5.5.0 slightly delayed
We’ve mentioned before that Hykem has plans to release an IOSU exploit on Wii U for the latest Wii U firmware 5.5.0.
Hykem had warned that hitting the exact date of Christmas was a stretch, and today he confirmed on GBATemp that he will not be able to make it to that deadline.
Nevertheless, he is still working on the hack and expects to have a release ready sometimes next week:
So, my intention to release something exactly on Christmas is clearly not going to happen. I already knew it would be quite a stretch to get all the relevant stuff done by tomorrow, whence the warning that it was merely an intention.
Still, I’m steadily working on all that’s necessary for a proper release and I will be spending the first month of the next year doing maintenance and giving support related to the exploit.
By the way, this doesn’t mean it won’t happen at all, I’m just giving an heads up so no one gets their hopes high for a Christmas eve release. Next week or so is a more plausible release date.
IOSU Exploit – What will be possible?
Users on GBATemp have compiled a short list of what the IOSU exploit could enable on the Wii U:
- playing backup games from SD or USB (USB Loader GX like) without the need of hosting files
- importing/exporting savegames to SD and maybe USB
- importing/exporting Miis to SD and maybe USB
- disabling format warning when USB drive for vWii mode is connected when Wii U starts
- maybe disabling firmware updates
- any kind of homebrew (apps) like WiiMC (media center)
- a homebrew channel
- use DLCs together with backups (like a fully unlocked Mario Kart 8 and so on)
- Wii games could be launched through Wii U mode as injected VCs so using vWii could become pointless
- launching Nintendont through Wii U mode to make it run in 1080p
Imagination’s the limit with this list at this point, and we can’t tell for sure what the hack enables until Hykems gives more details or releases it.