Release: VitaShell 0.1
Remember when on my Wishlist for Homebrew I talked about what same of the homebrews I wanted for the Vita were? I talked about a shell that could allow us to do many tasks like launch homebrew, view files and others? Well, forum user TheFloW has made of one of my wishes come true and it’s with immense excitement that I can report to you guys on the initial release of his VitaShell homebrew, a nifty little app that allows us to do many things already despite just being its 0.1 version.
Here is the feature list for this release:
– Launch homebrews (however, most of the homebrews cannot exit to VitaShell. The vitasdk doesn’t allow homebrews to exit correctly yet. It forgets to sceKernelFreeMemBlock for example).
– Read and write to pspemu (the folder starting with ms) and cache0.
– Read vs0:data/external (the folder starting with sd), vs0:sys/external (the folder starting with sd), app0, music0, photo0 and sa0.
– File browser with copy-paste, delete, rename, new folder. Press square to mark an entry
– RAR/7ZIP/ZIP support
– Text viewer
– Hex viewer (press square when you are in text viewer, press square again to switch back to text viewer)
– Photo viewer (beta state)
– Built-in FTP supporting all directories (press SELECT)
3.18 VitaTV with 1.05 Unity
3.50 PS Vita with 1.06 Unity
Since this is an early release, so don’t expect a fancy GUI like IRShell did but when you look at the list of features that are present here can you help but being excited at what else may come? I should add that the FTP gives you read access to the entire Vita filesystem and that includes access to other stuff like the photo and music folders! TheFloW has also told me is looking into write access to those last two folders, still how cool is that? Currently you will only have write access to the PSPemu folder and the cache0:/ where all the Rejuvenate data is stored. You will also have access to the Vita keyboard when naming/renaming folders.
I am particularly excited about the file browsing with PSPemu/cache0 support, the hex viewer and having build-in FTP support! Here is what TheFloW himself has to say about future support:
I am really motivated in working on this.
My todo list is really long, with media player, better photo viewer, write access to more directories, etc.
Whatever idea you have, tell me about it.
Of course this release is a part of the ReVITAlize competition that is still taking place until the end of this month. I have tested this successfully myself on my 3.51 Vita running 1.06 Unity.
Furthermore, after a conversation with developer TheFloW, we have decided to poll you guys here in the website about two specific features for the shell:
- Do you want a GUI (like iRShell had) or would you rather the application keep the look it has now?
- Would you like the ability to sign PSP homebrews? While this seems particularly trivial, it’s always good in case you find some non-working homebrew that you really want to use.
If you want to use VitaShell just click here for the release thread and don’t forget to thank TheFlow if you liked this little piece of software he made or if you want to suggest ideas for new features! However, please keep in mind that this is a beta release and might still contain a few bugs.