Release: VNPSP (a VNDS port)
So apparently, 2 years ago a developer nicknamed uppfinnarn made a port of what I assume was the code of VNDS at the time. For those unware, VNDS is a DS/3DS/Android emulator of ONScripter-based Japanese Visual Novels. It allows you to run games such as Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime and Umineko no Nako Koro Ni (among others) on your device. The PSP port works and I remember it being released, but it somehow got lost in the internet so bad that not even wololo.net has a working copy.
But fear not homebrewers, I got you covered! After a night of struggling with the PSPSDK and VMs and finally deciding to say screw it and settling for the trusty MinimalistPSPSDK for Windows (+the LIBPNG addon) I got the homebrew to compile and work! And yes, I have tested it and it works. Finding and converting the VNs is the hard part. I found a repo with PSP-formatted VNs but since it is a piracy site I will not share it. Google is your friend.
There are a few things that you guys should be aware of:
- Only ONScripter novels are compatible: there is a way to convert some here (I advise older converters, they are more likely to work);
- Since this is based on a 2-year old branch of VNDS and it was never truly completed, some things like .ZIP support are broken which forces you to do this:
- Convert the the VN to VNDS format like you normally would using the link supplied above;
- Copy your VNs to <homebrewdir>/novels/<your novel here>;
- However, instead of copying it straight away, go into the converted VNs folder and extract all the zips (script.zip, background.zip, ect) to the root of the folder and make sure to overwrite any conflicts;
- NOW you can copy the VN to the PSP/Vita;
- You can also try to find VNs in VNDS format using Google-Fu which saves you the trouble of a manual conversion but be sure you do STEP 2.
- The ingame controls are as follows:
- Cross – Continue;
- Circle – Hide Text
- Square – Backlog
- Triangle – Menu
- R – Skip.
A few personal tips for Vita users though:
Since some VNs can have up to 10k plus files (Never7 has 15k) and transferring those can be a huge pain with our limited FTP access:
- Uncompress ZIP up your novels using 7zip/Winrar;
- Copy the zip to your Vita using VitaFTP;
- Using PSPFiler, uncompress the ZIP file to the /novels folder.
- To do this choose the ZIP file with X, choose copy, navigate to the folder and then press R to extract all.
If you want to restart development on this I advise you to maybe use uppfinnarn’s source that you can find here.
I take no credit for this besides making the EBOOT.PBP file, all credit for this awesome work goes to uppfinnarn!
PSP Version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn4x6 … ersion.zip
Vita Version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ai29 … ersion.zip
Compressed EBOOT: http://www.mediafire.com/?bif44msw4aacf0y (credits to /talk user toBsucht :D)
You can discuss it on the /talk thread as well. Enjoy the release and play on!