PS Vita Release: PSP-Installer by SMOKE. Write to PSP/GAME on all firmwares
Scene dev SMOKE has just released PSP-INSTALLER, a tool that uses Mr.Gas’ email hack in order to let us write stuff to the PSP/GAME folder.
Why would I use PSP-Installer?
The PS Vita ships with a psp emulator, which we have heavily been using to run hacks. Specifically, we can run PSP games and homebrews within that emulator, the exact same games and homebrews that used to run on the PSP. Tools like VHBL, TN-V, or Ark let us do that. When I released VHBL for the first time in 2012, we had things the “easy” way: The PS Vita had some limitations that did not exist on the PSP, but overall things were good.
Then Sony caught up. They blocked a few things, including the possibility to write in the PSP emulator’s “GAME” folder. This basically prevented most homebrews/isos from running properly, making things more difficult for the scene.
PSP-Installer is here to fix this.
How to use PSP-Installer
Warning: The technique below erases your PSP/GAME folder and replaces it with a new one. Do a backup of your games beforehand!
- Place your PSP game you want to install in the ‘p’ folder of the savedata.
For example: “/PSAVEDATA/PSP-INSTALLER/p/VHBL/EBOOT.PBP”
- Copy the savedata to you Vita using QCMA.
- Make sure you have no notifications and are not downloading anything.
- Rebuild database in recovery.
- Using Outlook or Thunderbird, forward PSP-INSTALLER.eml to your email account.
- Find any Vita app or game that has an update available, click update, and then pause the download.
- Open the Email app and click the attachments one at a time.
It should show an error that says it could not display the image. DO NOT click the ok button.
Instead, press home and close the Email app.
- Once you have installed both files, reboot your Vita.
- Then, continue the download. The download should now be ~5mb ( 5007kb ). If not, something went wrong.
- Once downloading is complete, cancel the installation.
- Open the CMA app on your Vita. Go to Applications -> PSP/Other -> and delete the corrupt icon.
( It might also display 0000 )
-If you need to update or overwrite the eboot, use VitaMailWriter to overwrite the file.
-If when you resume the download it is not ~5mb ( 5007 KB ):
- Delete the savedata from your Vita
- Write the files in reset_bgdl.eml with the email trick
- Rebuild Database in recovery
- Start the instructions over again ( You can skip #4 though )
mr.gas for the trick
SMOKE for preparing files & writing instructions
you can download PSP-Installer here
source: SMOKE on /talk