PSP’s IDPS can be used to unban your PS3, some strangers might be using your PSP’s identity right now to unban their own PS3
Yesterday, the all known Hacker Mr.Gas shared here on /Talk where the IDPS from the PSP could be found. Developers asked a few Years ago about ID Storage Dumps to create a Tool which should fix the ID Storage if it was corrupted, but Mr.Gas researched these Dumps and found out that the IDPS was stored in the 121 ID Storage Key (0x0121.bin). I could promptly confirm then at Offset 0x60 was a 16 Byte Value which looks very suspiciously to the IDPS from a PS3.
I made also a Video today how it was possible to dump the PSP IDPS
But what is the IDPS ?
The IDPS is a 16 byte value that contains console specific information like the Target ID and Model Type of the Device, now you could say “Yeah what’s so special about this?”.
Well the IDPS was involved in some tasks like the Activation of Content and the PlayStation Network. It’s also a unique identifier of your console! If you ever uploaded your “ID Storage Dump” from your PSP, Unfortunately Bad Guys with a banned CFW PS3 could grab these IDPS’s now and could spoof your Console to get unbanned and go Online. Sony seems only to check if the IDPS was Valid and not which Device was beyond of this IDPS. In other words, a guy with a banned PS3 could take a PSP IDPS and use it to get “unbanned”. If they happen to do something wrong again, both their PS3 and your PSP will get banned. The key point of this is, when someone steal one if these IDPS and gets banned the PSP was too banned and a innocent user will be hurt hurt for it.
Here is proof from me that it really works
Note from Wololo: The “bright” side of this is that if you own a PSP, and a banned PS3, you can unban your PS3 by reusing your PSP’s IDPS. Since the PSN is pretty much useless today for PSPs, you’re not risking much by “recycling” its IDPS for a device that needs it more, namely your PS3.
How to unban your PS3 from the PSN by recycling your PSP’s IDPS
If you own a PSP, and a PS3 that’s been banned from the PSN, you can unban your PS3 by spoofing its IDPS with your PSP’s IDPS. To do so, you’ll need:
- Install IDStorage Manager in the PSP/GAME folder of your PSP (note: depending on the version you get, you will need to create a folder “IDStorage” in PSP/GAMES, and put the EBOOT.PBP file in it. also make sure the file is named EBOOT.PBP, and not FBOOT.PBP, rename it if needed)
- Run IDStorage Manager from your PSP
- Run the dump
- Exit the app, and connect your PSP to your computer again, there will be a folder named “keys”, the file you want to open is named 0x0121.bin
- Open 0x0121.bin with an Hex editor, and grab the 16 bytes starting at address 0x60. Those 16 bytes are your PSP’s IDPS
- You can then use this value as the “spoof IDPS” entry on your PS3’s CFW (if it supports it) or any other Spoofer you typically use.
See the videos above for more details.