Play your media files on PS4 via the Web server (by alexrivera)
Note from Wololo: This tutorial was initially published by /Talk member alexrivera, as part of our monthly tutorial contest. Alexrivera won the best PS4 tutorial prize (a $10 PSN Code) for his entry. You can find the original post here.
Important Note from wololo: We already have a full tutorial on how you can use Plex as your PS4 media Server, in a technique similar to what is described below. I personally believe Plex is a better solution than the one below, in all aspects, because it works “out of the box” with close to no setup required. But for the sake of completeness, I am publishing this alternate solution as well
As you may know, you can’t easily play your multimedia files on the PS4 such as movies, music, photos …
This tutorial will teach you how to play your media files on PS4 via the Web server.
- Download the archive containing the pack of all what you need here : https://www.mediafire.com/?x8wtkdgxt1whlhj
- Unzip the “BiteYourPlayer.zip” with a program like 7-Zip or winrar.
- Open the “BiteYourPlayer” folder.
- Launch the application “hfs.exe.”
- Accept by clicking “yes” when the new firewall window appears.
- “HTTP File Server 2.2f” should be running properly now.
- Right-click the house icon and select “Add files …”.
- Select the file “index.html”, “player.jpg”, “termini.png” from the pack you downloaded and extracted before and click “Open”.
- The files should appear in the home folder displayed by the software tree.
- Right-click the house icon and select “Add folder from disk …”.
- Select the “video” folder and click “OK”.
- Select the “Real Folder” option when the software asks you “what kind of folder do you want”.
- The “video” folder should appear in the tree displayed by the software.
- Put your video in MP4 format in the “video” folder in your “BiteYourPlayer” folder and select it.
- Rename your video previously selected to “ps4.mp4”.
- Back on the interface of HFS (HTTP File Server) software, right-click on the “video” folder and click “Add files…”.
- Select the video you renamed to “ps4.mp4” and click “Open.”
- Your video file to MP4 format “ps4.mp4” should appear in the tree displayed by the software.
- Click on the file “ps4.mp4” and you will see its path appear at the upper side of the software. Take note of it (for example : http://192.168.1.22/video/ps4.mp4).
- You can now open the PS4 browser and write the correct path and you will be able to read your multimedia file on your PS4 web browser.
Netflix outside of the US?
You like to use your PS4 as a media device? Check out how you can use Netflix on your PS4 outside of the US on our sister site makesmarttv.net. This trick also lets you switch to another Netflix country, to get even more movies!