PS Vita Hardware Mod (1 of 3): Secondary Battery

Over the course of the next few days (hopefully) I will be bringing to you guys some tutorials on PS Vita hardware mods. This one today, courtesy of CPUzX on /talk, will allow you to install a second battery in PS Vita for increased battery life.

DISCLAIMER: Any screw ups you make are 100% your fault and I nor CPUzX are to blame. Thank you and have a great day.

What you will need:

• Philips PH00 Screwdriver
  • Electrical Tape
  • Soldering Iron + Solder
  • A decent length of wire
  • A genuine PSP battery (or a battery of the same size and voltage 3.6/3.7)
  • Pliers
  • PS Vita WiFi Only console (3G is not supported)

*Note about the battery. A Lithium-Ion battery is recommended because they are much more reliable than others. Also remember, a genuine PSP battery. There are a lot of fakes out there. You have been warned.

Installing The battery

First, you’ve got to open up your Vita (go figure). You can follow this tutorial on how to do that. Take out the battery and strip of a section of both the black and red wires, making sure that they do not touch each other. Leave the white wire be.

Image

Now you have to open up the casing of your PSP battery, making sure not to pierce the battery. To do this, desolder the positive and negative wires of the PSP battery from the PCB. At this point, solder some short wire into the + and – pads of the PSP battery. Twist the + wire from the PSP battery, onto the + wire patch that you stripped off on the PS Vita battery. Do the same with the -.

Image

Now cover up the twisted sections with some electrical tape, do not use to much or else it won’t fit where we want it to. Pick up the back half of the PS Vita case. Take your pliers and twist and snap off several plastic grooves off the case. This shouldn’t harm anything because this is where you would find the 3G module on a 3G Vita.

Image

Most importantly, make sure that you put electrical tape on each and every single contact that you worked with. When you feel like there is a satisfactory placeholder for the battery, place it in. Force may be necessary. It should look somewhat similar to this.

Imageimage courtesy of decookaaron

When you are sure that everything is safe and sound, put everything back the way you found it, and make sure that everything works.

P.S. if you get confused trying to figure out which trigger holder goes on which side, you can use these pictures as a guide.

Left:

Image

Right:

Image

That’s how it’s done folks. I want to say thank you to CPUzX, for figuring all of this work out and for providing the pictures.

Well, that’s all for now from me, The Jay Doctor.

Source: CPUzX on /talk

1. angeliv’s avatar

Can’t we replace main battery with6300 mah 3.7v LiPo battery ? ;)

1. edukarlo’s avatar

i really wanted to try this out the first time i saw it in the forums, but they said that they switched back to its original battery structure.. im also planning to use this mod alongside with a nyko power grip.. i think the concept here is somewhat same as nyko’s connection.. or is it? maybe connecting the batteries in parallel?

1. The Kick’s avatar

Same here. I got 2x the battery life with the Nyko power grip. I charge only every two weeks. I can’t imagine how insane the battery life would be.

1. angeliv’s avatar

lol, only 1 hour of play per day ??

2. Vitality’s avatar

It’s better if it’s on 3G version because it’s the one that drains the battery fast, even when I turned off the 3G Networks.

1. DarkVolkaN’s avatar

“PS Vita WiFi Only console (3G is not supported)” makes that hard^^

2. The Kick’s avatar

The 3G version has more cumbersome internals. There isn’t alot of room in there.

3. SmashADBurn’s avatar

How much of an increase are we talking about here?

4. edukarlo’s avatar

vita battery, 2200 mAh.. PSP battery 1200 mAh.. thats around 54.5% increase in battery life..
    can a 2200mAh PSP battery fit in there? i think, it may be a better idea.. since they are connected in parallel, theoretically both will be charged at the same rate.. and using a a secondary battery with lower capacity might get frequent overcharging.. since the battery charge level sensor is connected in the primary vita battery.

1. zakaiya’s avatar

The height of the 2200mah exceeds the height of the psvita battery so closing it is possible but youll lose sound as well as wifi reception on the right side because the contacts wont be touching each other. I considered shaving down the back but i still feel it wot close properly.

5. Ztupid’s avatar

I agree with Vitality. Now I wish I bought the WiFi only model. oh well.

6. RandQalan’s avatar

I wonder if a PSP GO Battery would work and a lot easier ;)

7. mosi’s avatar

well, dr.neffario. did u manage how to do this on 3g somehow? cuz 3g uses more battery than wifi! also since youre a dr, ’neffario’, can u hack this shit or not?!

1. The Jay Doctor’s avatar

To everyone: The reason this doesn’t work on 3G is because there is no space. The area wbere the PSP battery is placed is where you would the 3G module.

8. HarmfulMushroom’s avatar

So this will 100% definitely not work at all with a clone? Because I can’t find any genuine batteries anywhere…

And would a PSP-1000 series battery work?

1. The Jay Doctor’s avatar

You can try a clone but it would be at your own risk. Cheap Chinese knock-offs are what you have to be wary of. In theory, you can use any battery that fits and meets the voltage (3.6 or 3.7 nothing more, nothing less).

1. HarmfulMushroom’s avatar

Ok cool, thanks.

2. MaXa’s avatar

Hi,is possible post dimensions of battery, which will fit in VITA?

2. decookaaron’s avatar

You can find genuine psp batteries. I found them on ebay. In the photo below the vita battery and next to the psp battery were the photo say in courtesy of decookaaron I was planning of installing 2 more mini batteries thats why there was more plastic torn off. But I’m still searching for battery that would fit. I was thinking of using small MP3 rechargeable batteries to place in there. So there would be total of 4 batteries. And I tried the 3G model. There is no way, not enough room.

9. 110706’s avatar

Can we add a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4200mah 3.7v battery? seems like a perfect fit in there.

1. The Jay Doctor’s avatar

If it fits, I’d say go for it.

10. terry’s avatar

report back the results 110706 looking to do this mod also. Battery size might be a problem.

sent via PS Vita.

11. theknox1992’s avatar

going to use the xperia play battery

12. Adx2’s avatar

Guys i tried but i messed up my vita . By mistake i fully cutted the vita wire the red and black .. and now the wire has became short to connect to motherboard. I totally scrued my vita and its all my fault i was eager to try it out . Now i might need to wait atleast 3 month to get a new .. feeling screwed up

1. The Jay Doctor’s avatar

Just solder a piece of wire in between where you cut. It will increase the length of the wire. Easy fix.

1. Adx2’s avatar

thanks dude .. why did this idea not came into my mind .. the reason might be i was too much worried .. Thanks u jst saved my money…

2. jvhellraiser’s avatar

why would you wait, just solder new cables into it use your brain God put it there for some reason.

1. Adx2’s avatar

ya u r right probably i should use my brain…. well thanks for the idea which didnt came into my mind, might be because of the stress i was goin through when i screwed up my vita

13. xoombie503’s avatar

Cool but ill just use my vita portable charger

14. isocso’s avatar

if you want damage the ps vita, then do it the above steps

15. Riddle43’s avatar

now if we could just find a wat to use micro sd cards id be happy

1. MadZiontist’s avatar

Indeed! Wish there was a way to use 2x64GB SanDisk micoSD cards in my Vita like my PSP. But I’m not gonna complain, as I recently bought a 64GB Vita mem card, and it’s great for having space for both official Vita content, and for TN-V content. :D

Oh, and I’m quite content with having a 3G model. This is a cool mod and all, but not really worth all the hassle and risk (for me at least anyways). Now hopefully one day a larger capacity single battery (made for the Vita) replacement is available.

Keep the mod news comin’ though. Cool stuff. I’d love to put some LEDs in there (easy enough mod, but I’m not experienced at all really in hardware mods. I’d be fofraid to crack my PSV open, unless I had a secondary one). Also, maybe one day there’ll be a way to put L2/R2 triggers in there, and map the Vita to them. There’s def physical room for them, as far as I can see.

1. gunblade’s avatar

Well u would need like a ps3 contolller and then since the vita uses the rear touch screeen for the l2and r2 probly fond away to connect to the rear touch screen the ps3 controller or jus jus like part from a vita and connect the trigger to the tear touch screen could probly put like a switch to switch bettween the rear touch and the ps3 controller since sum vita games use the rear touch screen and sum psone games use l2 and r2 think to use ps3 controller for the r3 and l3.

16. angeliv’s avatar

can’t we just slap in 6300 mah 3.7v LiPo battery ? ;)

1. The Jay Doctor’s avatar

I guess you could? The only problem is that the original PS Vita battery would charge much faster. If you left the PS Vita to charge until the larger capacity battery was full, the other one would over charge. The would also be some overheating.

1. angeliv’s avatar

well, someone replace vita original battery with 4400 mah one + 1100 mah sub battery, so i thought why not using only one battery with 6300 mah capacity ? so there’s no overcharging.

17. vitaman’s avatar

Nice idea. I recommend getting the nyko power grip. Makes the vita much more comfortable and increases battery life tremendously. But make sure you save your receipt because there are alot of faulty grips. I had to send my first one back because it died only after a month. Nyko sent me a new one but I had to pay the shipping. I’ve had this new one for about a year. Decided to buy a second one when they stopped making them because I saw the price going up on ebay. So if you have the 3g model like, I would go this route. Seems like the Vita has just enough battery to run out while finishing a gaming session. Great mod tutorial. Good work. Seems safe enough if you know what you’re doing. The vita should charge the two batteries as one. I’ve done this type of thing with other less expensive devices in the past. Just don’t use generic!

1. shadowknight1620’s avatar

I use Sony Vita portable battery charger and it works very well I even bought 2 of them since they worked so well on the go :)

18. shadowknight1620’s avatar

Would a ps3 controller battery work? I know it’s similar to the psp battery, Wondering what you guys think and if it would work :P thanks in advance

19. Clarkal’s avatar

Wow what a great idea shadowknight1620 i just checked the battery and its 1800 mah so there should be no issues with over charge. Hopefully the vita has enough room to stack 2 of those in it.

20. yazza2013’s avatar

I tried this with a psp 1000 battery, it wont work as it’s way too big to fit. The slim psp (2000 series) batteries fit perfectly.

I only recommend a 1200 mah psp slim battery, or a phone battery with similar size and voltage.

21. edukarlo’s avatar

psp slim battery dimensions please?
    i cant really trust the 1200mAh battery.. it will surely be consistently overcharged, that’s a 1000 mAh difference, it might damage the original battery or vice versa.. im looking for a better alternate secondary battery with (almost) the same (or smaller) dimensions..