Minimur, WTH Happened This Week? GT6 People, Vita Sales Boom, PlayStation Twitter Goes Bonkers!

This week besides what I’ve written in the title, we’ve got news on January’s free games for the US, and might I say, they’re amazing! along with news on an exciting announcement from nDreams. and Alot, lot more! Come check it out!

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any vita game announcements this week, I believe this is the first week I’ve had no Vita games announced to let you know about. Not even the guys on the official Vita game thread on /talk could find anything. Ah well, such a shame!

How about a story? Yes, let’s have a story.
I got a new laptop on boxing day, so after buying it an signing into my brothers steam account to download a few games, he told me to download ‘The Stanley Parable’ well at first I was like ‘wtf is that?’ but after he forced me to sit down at my computer (that part wasn’t hard) and play it… I really enjoyed it. It’s a great game and it’s indie so it wouldn’t be too taxing on your PC. I highly recommend it, it’s great fun and made me laugh multiple times.

The End.

That’s a nice story. I’m sure you are all very interested. /s

Let’s move on to news now as I’m sure you’re all tired of me rambling on about my new laptop ( I gotta new laptop I did) and talk about the PS Vita, it seems that the PS Vita sales have shot up since the release of the PS4. And sales have gone up for the device an amazing 68% on the first week, and 65% in the week after, this information comes from industry magazine MCV.

Ben Law of Sony had a few words to say:

PS Vita sales wise we are continuing to see strong week-on-week growth since our latest campaign kicked in.

We’ve already seen amazing feedback from PS4 owners on the Remote Play feature, and the success of Tearaway highlights what a great proposition PS Vita is, either as a standalone device or as the perfect companion to PS4.

Let’s talk about the newly released Gran Turismo 6, now you’ll agree that the cars look beautiful in this game and the same can be said about the tracks. But there’s just one tinkering issue all racing/sports games have had with something…. Crowds. That’s right. Now they aren’t as bad as Fifa where they’re 2d, just simply extremely low poly models that look embarassing

Notice how he’s just a mirror image of himself?

Okay, maybe some 2d, strange fuzzy people

Have a look at a few more pics in the gallery at gameranx here, it’s pretty funny.

I hope this is a trend that stops in the new generation, I’m aware fifa have now got fully 3d models (that look half decent) so credit to them, but even ‘next gen’ racer forza 5 uses 2d models that weirdly twist so you can always see the front of them in the camera, take a look, it’s hilarious:

Let’s move onto the January PS Plus updates, and boy have the US got a decent update this month, EU has it pretty decent also and has a better month PS Vita wise but I’d rather have the american update, that’s for sure.

For the month of January the US region get these games for their PS3:

Bioshock: Infinite

DmC

Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons

PS Vita:

Smart As

Worms: Battle Islands

PS4:

Don’t Starve

And the comprised a video showing what games are in the IGC (Instant Games Collection) in January, here it is:

As always, the trailer is accompanied my an awesome song:

And now the EU regions IGC, we’ve got:

PS3:

DmC

Borderlands 2

PS Vita:

Soul Sacrafice

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend.

PS4:

Don’t Starve

And here’s the sum up video PlayStation Access put together:

As the video states, the January PS Plus games are avaliable from 24th december, which means you can download them now! Enjoy! (I’m not sure if US region games are avaliable to download now, just the EU

so guys, what would you prefer? Borderlands 2 or Bioshock Infinite?

Here’s something interesting, the official Playstation went barmy earlier in the week and posted a photo of a stream playing the playroom, and it seemed that they werent really playing the playroom, just having a party. There were a few flattering comments also on the stream photo they posted:

Stay classy cbakawarrior….

Something else rather funny happened over the streams. And a couple actually fell asleep while streaming, yup that’s right. Here’s a photo:

So let’s get this straight, there were 240 people watching 2 people sleep? it’s nice to know that it’s not actually Microsoft that we need to worry about spying on us, it’s actually PlayStation live streams where when you fall asleep you get 240 people watching you. It was also registered that there was over 3000 comments on the stream. Excellent.

So in the opening paragraph I spoke about an announcement from nDreams development team, well it turns out that they are developing a PS4 exclusive title and supplied  this statement:

I’m delighted to be able to officially announce that we are working on a PlayStation 4 title, which will launch in 2014. More details will follow next year, but it’s the most ambitious game we have ever created, and we can’t wait to reveal more about it – it’s going to be something truly special.

nDreams are the largest publisher for PS Home, releasing content for it weekly, meanwhile their latest game ‘Frontier Frenzy’ is an iOS game, take a look at a screenshot of the game, below.

Weekly blog round-up

A fair bit on the blog this week and if you haven’t read them there’s some great reads in there, check it out if you got the time:

Reddit Time

Would someone please mind translating this? But anyway, this street fighter art is awesome!

This may not technically be on reddit but it was a link there so I guess it counts, it’s an indiegogo campaign at the moment and it seems like a prettty advanced bit of tech, real-time face tracking for any webcam, let’s take a look:

And here’s the latest Epic Rap Battles of History, it may not be on reddit but it’s awesome!

1. Hutchy’s avatar

I don’t think I would want to be watched by hundreds of people while I slept.

Some of the crowds in race games are really bad especially in ps2 and old pc games.

Good write up! I enjoyed reading this!

2. alarmstufe’s avatar

Vita sales gone boom? Another exploit seems to be necessary for the new vita owners :D

(Me, for example.. :( )

1. cboushell’s avatar

This was the reason I had hoped TN would have held off on releasing TN-V4 until after Christmas as I knew there would have been many more vitas out there that it could have potentially gotten installed on, but it’s his work so it’s his decision, after New year’s would have been even better would have given all those that got gift cards for Christmas a chance to use them to buy a vita. I know your pain I got my vita one day to late to get king of pool. Oh well will be patiently waiting for the next release.

3. Guardian’s avatar

Now, on the part of the crowd… Well I find it impressive they still use this technique nowadays with all the processing power, I am referring to the billboard thing. That is where you show planes with rendered 2D images that will twist if you move around it. It works great with static objects like tress, some plants and even rocks, but on people that just does not look right. Now, in the GT6, one of the guys looks like if he is taking a dump… probably he ate something bad.

1. jake’s avatar

I think they think that we think it’s not what we focus on… In “Juiced” [PS2] they were really crappy images, yet the cars themselves imo look better than the sequel?!

4. sugoi’s avatar

this was a lot of fun! thanks for writing. haha those 2D models, what is better? to lau gh or to cry at them? i find really intresting that “facerig page” thanks again for sharing

5. JeoWay’s avatar

In the first picture of the streaming of the party, I didn’t realize Wololo would actually let you post that picture just because of it saying “Bang Bros” xD

(If you know what I mean)

6. BahamutBBob’s avatar

That US PS+ update looks very “meh.”

I already have Bioshock Infinite on PC, and I really regret buying it at full price. I will give DmC a shot, though. (I am not a fan of the series, so the changes probably won’t bother me too much :P)

And Minimur, I think the word you’re looking for is “sprites,” not “2D models.”

1. Minimur12’s avatar

Thanks for the tip! I’l remember to use that in future.

and DmC is a great game, I bought it on ps3 not too long ago, but I’m not atall annoyed I could’ve got it for free, I’d hapily pay for that game :) It’s a great game :0

If you do end up liking that, you could always give DMC 4 a shot, it’s pretty good too :)

7. H2Opsv’s avatar

They keep trying to push the same games off on us vita users. Wipeout, gravity rush, and Star Wars pinball. Screw Star Wars pinball.

8. NakedFaerie’s avatar

I thought GT6 was total crap. There is no on-car view for most of the cars. Instead of just not having that view they make it all black looking really bad like a cheap PS1 game.

For other games released at the same time Gt6 is one of the worst games ever.
    Forza 5 came out about the same time as GT6. Now compare the 2 and you will see how crap GT6 is.
    Oh, you complain that Forza 5 was on Xbox1 where GT6 is on PS3… Ok then, compare Gt6 to GRID1. Yea, an old game on the same console and you will see Grid is still better than GT6.
    How about Test Drive Unlimited 2. Thats also better than GT6.
    I’m talking about the car views. In all other car games that have an in car view all other games look 100x better than GT6. Even some PS2 car games look better than GT6 in car view thats how bad it is.

I have tried about 10 cars and out of them 6 had no incar view. The whole interior was black.
    You cant say “oh, but there are so many cars they cant do incar views for all those cars” then disable the incar view completely if they aren’t going to make graphics for that car. It makes the game look really crap and worse than any other game at the same or similar release date.

I always thought Gran Turismo was the worst car games as they have no incar views, no damage, AI cheats a lot.
    Go have a go at GRID then GT5/6 and you will see how good GRID is and how crap GT5/6 really are. For such a new game its a real let down. Its only for die hard GT fans as anyone that really likes car games wont want it its that bad.

1. zorak_torok’s avatar

Wow :×) Too busy with ps4.