Over 34,000 hacking attempts a day across PS4/Xbox One

According to a recent report there are numerous attempts to steal accounts.

Consumer Affairs just released a recent report detailing an estimate of 34,000 attacks a day on accounts across both PS4 and Xbox One platforms. And in relation to that over 4.6 million pieces of malware related to gaming hack attempts.

While these attempts are global according to their reporting and data from Kaspersky Lab data that European attacks (subsequently found those in Spain) getting the most attention, with 138,786 attacks this year alone. Poland was in second with 127,509, followed by Italy with a staggering 75,080.

Its no secret that there are good and bad hackers out there. Those with good intentions for the community and those with bad intentions. And right now all the bad hackers are coming out as these new consoles have been released. It’s a playground for them to attack in and profit off of. A lot of these hackers are getting successful, just recently Sony was alerted and released a report that they were seeing irregular activity on their servers. Sony in return reset numerous account’s passwords. I was even subject to this reset. A lot of users actually found their credit card information stolen with unauthorized charges racked up. Microsoft has had their issues too. With everything becoming internet dependent and interconnected we will see increased attempts at hacking.

While you think you may be safe, you’re not. If you’re wondering what you can do to be extra safe before and after; here are a few pointers:

1. Change your password regularly.

While it seems like a hassle changing your password; doing this every so often is a key defense in thwarting unwanted hackers.

2.Use a complicated password.

Some hackers are better than others but one thing that can save your account is a strong password. Don’t use dictionary passwords (like videogame or battlefield or something along those lines) as most of the time hackers are able to brute force with something simple. Use numbers and other keys and symbols to help. Make sure its something that’s only you could think of. Combine words and make phrases up if you have to. Physically write that password down and don’t leave it in a text file on your computer.

3. Don’t click ads, set up spam filters in your email, use protection.

An easy way to lose access to your account is by clicking infected fake ads or visiting other infected links and sites. Make sure your using common sense when browsing the internet and especially with your email. If it looks like a phishing attempt it probably is.

Another good way to protect yourself is using antivirus and other programs like Adblock and Peerblock. Doing something so simple is worth it despicably if you aren’t an advance computer user who can monitor without them. Delete your cookies and optimize your internet browser. Browsers like Chrome have a ton of security settings you can setup.

4. Check your bank account and credit card statements ALL THE TIME.

A good way to track a breach in an account of yours is to check your statements and transactions. If you see something thats not supposed to be there report it and file a claim immediately and change your password with said account that is affected. Contact Sony or Microsoft if you lose control of your account.

5. Use PSN or Microsoft cards in place of a credit card or debit card.

If your account gets hacked, it’ll cause you less damage to have PSN cards or Microsoft cards instead of something personal like credit or debit cards. You leave no trace to the thieves so that they can make unnecessary charges.

6. Know your friends, online and off.

Know who you’re talking to both online in games or online communities and offline in real life. Never give out your information, ever. Keep personal information secret especially in online games as they can be used to reset your password.

7. Don’t fall for the fake “PS4 JAILBREAK 3.60 FW DOWNLOAD HERE” type scams. Ex here

Don’t fall for something as stupid as this. For any platform. Check your news sites (like us!) for information regarding anything legit. If it’s real well be sure to tell you and where to get it. I’ve seen too many people fall for it only to get infected by viruses. Protip: Surveys are ALWAYS fake and the easiest way to steal your info.

The internet is great, but its also not completely safe. Be smart and use it wisely. Not everyone is in your best interest. Stay safe and be alert.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. NeonAera’s avatar

Great advice, JD. I’ll keep those tips in mind. Anyway bad hackers for the lose.

2. Hazer7’s avatar

Lol, I just did a class webpage projects on the exact thing. I even used that picture that I got from google images.

3. paul’s avatar

Some good advice. I think to many of us use our debit/credit cards with psn (me included). We all got lazy and couldnt be bothered going out just to get one of there cards.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

And now with the ability to buy the codes instantly via Amazon or Gamestop it makes it easier for the “lazy” people.

1. dan’s avatar

cant you clear your credit card on your psn account info?

1. Charles Fasano’s avatar

With Microsoft, if you used you debit/credit card to buy Xbox LIVE Gold membership or some other subscription based service through Microsoft, you cannot remove your card until the subscription runs outs. I know, I had that problem and was furious.

Most banks these days do monitor your credit/debit card activity and if they see usual or atypical charges, they do put a hold. For example, we went away to Williamsburg and we booked a hotel room for an overnight stay, that hotel charge was not something we normally do so the bank put a hold on my mom’s debit card. Also since the charge was out of state, that also made them think her card was stolen. It was out fault for not letting the bank know we were traveling out of state and they only did it for her protection. Sure it was a massive inconvenience since we couldn’t buy stuff at the local Wal-Mart.

Since I use a PayPal card, I get an email every time I charge something so I know immediately if some one got my card. They even periodically call me to verify transactions.

I do not Amazon for one big reason. They DO NOT ask for the security numbers on the back of most cards which is a way to verify that the buyer actually has the card in their possession and not that just the numbers were stolen or someone did a double swipe at a restaurant.

Thankfully most bank have it were you are not responsible for fraudulent charges but it’s better to be pro-active rather than have to wait for the funds to be reinstated.

4. KILLERHEDAKE’s avatar

Too many people lost their accounts and credit cards charged to the max with those fecking “Free MS point Generators” during the Xbox 360 days. Can’t wait to see what hair-brained schemes the bad hackers with pull over the “innocent” gamers who don’t know better in these Xbox One and PS4 days.

5. MrDo!’s avatar

That’s a pretty cool pic of the tweezers and password between the binary. I like it

6. BurritoMan’s avatar

“Doing something so simple is worth it despicably if you aren’t an advance computer user who can monitor without them.” I don’t think despicably is supposed to be there. Maybe “especially”?

“Poland was in second with 127,509, followed by Italy with a staggering 75,080.”
    This statement confuses me. Namely, the “with a staggering 75,080″ part. Are lower numbers more impressive for some reason? It seems like it would be the opposite but I’m most likely not interpreting the surrounding sentences correctly.

Nice article, as always. A lot of common sense stuff, but people need to hear that stuff now and again to reinforce the ideas.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

It was, autocorrect strikes again. However despicably means very badly so It works either way :)

Not sure whats confusing. It’s just for Italy it’s a pretty big number. Staggering is an addon to reinforce the idea of it being a lot.

1. mlc’s avatar

Doesn’t Italy have more people? Though I can’t say I know enough about Italy and Poland to say which should be more “secure” in this regard. But “staggering” might be inaccurate for the number in Italy, but it could be “shocking” if such attempts are more expected in Poland.

2. Gunblade’s avatar

More harder for regrions better Thor..

7. codestation’s avatar

You forgot one of the most important rules: do not reuse your passwords.

I know a lot of people who uses the same password for gmail, twitter, facebook, random forums, etc. If one of these sites get compromised they will be screwed.

1. mlc’s avatar

“do not reuse your passwords.”

QFT.

But I would assume it’s equally important to not use even a portion of one password in another, since – depending upon your other accounts’ susceptibility to brute force attempts – you might be making your passwords easy to “guess” if every one contains the same phrases or number and a relatively small number of differing characters.

(this might not work for banks, but less secure services could probably be infiltrated easily if the tries were timed correctly.)

8. mangosteam’s avatar

whew luckyly i only use psn cards to load and no credit cards..

9. Tontsa’s avatar

The whole thing is a misinterpretation when it comes to number of PS4/Xbox One hack attempts. The Sixth Axis wrote a fine piece about this “news”.

Source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/12/16/dont-believe-the-hype-34000-hackers-are-not-attacking-ps4-and-xbox-one/

10. mlc’s avatar

“Check your bank account and credit card statements ALL THE TIME.”

This is probably the best advice on here. I recently had my card info stolen repeatedly due to a flaw in URM (grocery) store credit card processing security, and this could be a huge problem if I hadn’t been checking my accounts quickly enough to catch the fraudulent charges.

Now some cards will flag fraudulent charges immediately, but that’s obviously not going to happen if it’s in an area/digital store that you already frequent, so this is extremely important. And this is all the more important if you purchase from a lot of digital stores, since a lot of effort is focused on hacking their systems. (whereas a store clerk is probably less likely to steal your information, despite the fact that far more clerks/checkers might be able to get it)

In fact, I already have a pretty good idea that one of my recently replaced cards will be stolen soon, due to that same URM store hack. They hadn’t yet announced that they were hacked when I got my first replacement card, so I didn’t realize that they were dangerous – also I buy a lot of groceries on monthly-paid credit. It actually made me appreciate well-run websites more, since apparently a brick and mortar store compromised 2 – 2.5(if I have to replace this one card twice) cards, whereas I’ve rarely had a digital purchase lead to card theft.*

*But this might have been luck or lucky timing, since obviously PSN has had its share of problems, and I’ve purchased from several online vendors in the past that I wouldn’t expect to have the security of Sony or a major chain. (though the explanation for this is that Sony and major retail chains don’t have as good security as you’d expect)

11. imGOD’s avatar

the shit is MS LIVE MAIL only supports 16 characters password. what a shitty service.

1. Gunblade’s avatar

Would take a while to make 10000 ms live mail…. Think I would have had the same pass for most of them… 16 an hour with. A core 7 and that’s jus a single chip faster with sum thing with like three boards

12. Gunblade’s avatar

Thought u guys was busy …… Said I had stuff to do…..