JAISPI – Read and Write to the PS4 flash?

Just in, Spanish developer JaiCrab has released a tool based on the Raspberry Pi to read and write from the PS4′s flash memory through the SPI protocol. I’m not sure if it’s a hoax but it seems quite legit as the news has spread to many other websites.

This is surprisingly early considering that the PS4 is barely a month old. Not only that, but the Vita (which has been out for almost 2 years now) hasn’t seen any such public development yet.

The tool has the ability to dump the flash onto an SD card, to write to the flash and to clear the flash (not recommended without a proper backup of the flash – it would brick your PS4 and I doubt Sony would be willing to fix it)

If you haven’t heard of the Raspberry Pi, this is what it looks like:

Yes, that’s a computer and yes, it does run linux

Developer JaiCrab has also released a utility to unpack the PS4 PUP files, of course such a utility isn’t really useful without the keys to decrypt the packages inside.

There isn’t much other information on the tool, hopefully we’ll get some more information soon.

So the usual question: Accessing memory is one of the first steps to hacking a system, accessing flash memory is a huge step because that’s usually where the OS is stored. So, what do you think? Is this the start of the PS4 scene?

Post your opinion below ;)

Details and download at psdevwiki

1. sam’s avatar

Step by step… ;-)

1. Leaf’s avatar

ooh baby
      Gonna get to you girl
      Step by step!

1. fatman01923’s avatar

Here I am thinking people would never catch the song in your comment! Nice on you Leaf.

2. enigma85’s avatar

1st and yay!

1. NO’s avatar

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ enigma85

3. sn37ip’s avatar

i think it will happen fast, in future i see ps3 game capability and stuff like that

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

sorry to bust your ignorance bubble, but the ps4 will never play ps3 games by pure software, it’s not powerful enough, not even the most powerful commercial PC is powerful enough.

1. svenn’s avatar

Since ps4 uses x86 (same as computers) and ps3 uses CELL, so x86 need to “emulate”. I think tho in time, commercial PC’s will be able to do so, just not today.

As for ps3 compatibility, Sony will offer a game-stream service, also you will be able to rebuy your games in ps4 format for new games, and why would you wane play ps3 games, in lets say a year ?

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

PS2 games still aren’t perfectly emulated on PC, I see all kinds of texture glitches. A real PS2 is best to play them. Just like a real PS3 is best to play PS3 on. I still have a Dreamcast because I like classic gaming, but anything older than Dreamcast I just emulate. I wouldn’t mind a Gamecube to play Phantasy Star private servers.

1. Valhalla’s avatar

Most PS2 games are emulated wonderfully though.

I see PS2 emulation as a real possibility for the PS4 and if Sony doesn’t provide the feature themselves I will personally do all that I can to help the scene get it there ourselves.

2. aerinas’s avatar

The main reason emulation is so slow that it usually takes a ten times stronger machine to emulate is because certain hardware optimizations can’t be made. If Sony would put some of their ps3 engineers and some of their developers together they could come very close to emulating ps3 on ps4. But I doubt they would ever do that, It’s probably easier to just port the most popular games to ps4 and let the rest die in peace.

1. sn37lip’s avatar

acid snake.. gtfo you pathetic copycat fame chaser and i could go on and on

2. sn37lip’s avatar

btw im not as concerned as you are about some kind of useless bullshit, go outdoors have a real life for once and grow the f*** up

4. PlaGeRaN’s avatar

I hope you can solder the chip back on, just read the chip must be removed from the board……..

I’m not good in that department. (already screwed up my psp for a usb charge hack)

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I don’t think everyone needs to do this. Only a select few need to analyze the data to eventually understand it. Then maybe they can produce some kind of CFW, or release the files so somebody else can.

5. Ninjakakashi’s avatar

I hope not!!! I would at least hope 2 years before a start let alone a finish. If it is hacked to early xbox win the console wars on games…

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

The wii was hacked early, the xbox 360 was hacked early, the PS3 was hacked pretty late and it’s still harder to hack than the other two consoles, did the PS3 win the console wars? nope.
      I’m sorry but your logic is hugely flawed and is the same crap game companies have been trying to sell us for a lot of times: “Piracy kills a console”.
      I’m sorry but it didn’t kill the PS1 and I’m sure as hell it didn’t kill the PS2.
      Matter of fact, the PS1 was immensely pirated, hell PS1 hacking is what invented modchips, while the N64 stayed piracy-free for almost all of its lifespan, yet the PS1 sold 4 times as more as the N64 did.
      To add insult to injury, the Vita is not even hacked and it’s already dead.

Read a bit of console history, you’ll be surprised about how much wrong you are.

1. svenn’s avatar

I totally agree on this. Piracy, is the best thing a console can have, aslong as its not final, and sony is able to close the gate, people will buy a console, then buy games anyway.

2. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I have always thought this. Just look at the PSP sales. In a way I wanted a PSP more than my Vita, I will have both eventually thanks to TN-V4. My PSP was in my pocket during a heavy rainstorm I was caught in. It never turned on again. But I fell in love with the analogs on the Vita, so it’s ok.

3. makak1984’s avatar

+100% agreed Acid

4. Giovanni’s avatar

just what I thought, man ;) You’re right and yes look at the PSP, Wii ,X360, PSone and 2, they were sold like hell all around the world ! The PSP even got it’s highest saling amounts when it got completely hacked before the e1000 model came :)

5. CNPalmer’s avatar

BOOM! Goes the dynamite!

6. Thrawn’s avatar

Don’t forget the NDS, it was hacked early and there was a CFW for it. But only a few did that and then flash cards arose over the horizon. Did this kill the NDS? NO.
        Hell the NDS is/was the most selling portable console ever. Its sold consoles equal the sales of the ps2!
        AND there was piracy on the nds all around.

2. Bullshiters’s avatar

ummmm, the PS2 was hacked since day 1 iirc, but hey look, its the most successful console of it’s generation.

6. svenn’s avatar

“Yes, that’s a computer and yes, it does run linux” It also runs Android and RISC OS if you are in that kinky stuff ;)
    Great article!

1. Theredbaron’s avatar

Plus BSD, ReactOS, Plan9 and even FirefoxOS (yes, that last one is linux too, but so is android).

1. Quade321’s avatar

Yes. Just ordered a Pi myself. Linux/BSD/Other Open Source OS nerds unite! (But I’m not gonna be touching a PS4 flash memory. Haven’t even got one. It’s only to play around with. ;)

1. Quade321’s avatar

xD I don’t like the picture system. Why did it make me angry? :p

They should all be happy faces. That’ll probably cause mis interpretations and lower the flames of Internet rage in the comments. ^_^

7. Vita means life.’s avatar

This guy is legit. He made a firmware emulator on PS3 if I recall correctly.

8. Giovanni’s avatar

Yeah man ! I remember JaiCrab being a legit and professional dev, so I believe in his little new device ;) I think the scene will get hotter and hotter in 2014 and this could be the first step :D

9. CLOUD’s avatar

THAT PIC IS A LIE LOOK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWpLcq0ZiYA AT 1:41 ITS THE SAME BOARD ITS CALLED RASPBERRY PIE