ReCAP – Raising My Voice About PS4 Voice Recognition

Like any avid gamer & video game enthusiast, when something new and shiny comes out, I gotta have it. Its my passion and I hate waiting to see how something is going to turn out and be adopted by the community or kicked to the curb (PlayStation Move are you hearing me?). The launch day accessories (or in my case the 2 week early launch day accessories) that arrived with the PlayStation 4 are no exception to my wanton desire to have it all and in this case I’m referring to the PlayStation Camera.

I picked up my PS4 camera WAY earlier than launch so I had it in my hands mocking me for about 2 weeks. But come launch day (or night in my case) I cracked that beotch open and started to see what it could do. The camera doesn’t have a USB connection but instead uses a proprietary connector with a dedicated port on the back of the PS4; this is good news since the PS4 only has 2 front-facing USB ports for other peripherals. The camera also has 2 lenses and several perforated areas on the front to pick up sound, a step forward from the top mounted mic array and single lens of the PS3 Eye. And it comes with a bendable, fold-able stand for support if you want to have it sit atop your TV/monitor.

I was looking forward to see how well it performed from both a gaming stand-point and from what I was really interested in, the voice recognition technology. The only game available to test with was The Playroom which is a glorified interactive tech demo more than anything (its not a “gamer’s game” by any stretch). Once I was over that, I really started to dig into the voice recognition capabilities. For an in-depth look at this and to see some of the short-comings/hindrances take a look at my video tutorial here:

So, as you can see from the video, it’s cool technology that wears thin pretty fast. There seems to be a bit of unreliability to it as well. In one case you can clearly hear me pronounce the hot word and not have it respond but then when repeated, it responds just fine. A bit finicky if you ask me. You also need to speak clearly; anything muffled just doesn’t compute. I also found myself yelling at it; like pressing harder on a remote button will get it to work better. Not sure how loud I have to be but typically I’m only 6′ (2 meters for all the non-US people) away from the camera placement.

I’m not disappointed in it by any means, it’s still new & cool and I hope Sony ends up doing more with it both in terms of interactive behavior and game involvement. Here’s a few of my hopes & gripes…

• Customization of the “hot word”. Saying “PlayStation” is alright, but I wanna say something of my own choosing.
    • Expand the functions. Right now you can navigate, perform some power functions and start games. I want to record stuff in an instant & I want it to work in-game.
    • I want to be able to not only start a game but pause it too. All games could use standard words for start, pause, menu commands without too much effort.
    • It would be cool to say “Start Streaming” and whatever game you’re in, starts up your preferred streaming service (Twitch or uStream are choices at the moment).
    • Add in some additional main commands aka Xbox One power on stuff. The PS4 can already go into stand-by mode and provide power to the USB ports; I don’t think it’s a hard stretch to also provide stand-by power to the camera port as well for this to work.

That’s just things that come to mind for me. One thing I covered in another video is the facial recognition features and I’ll cover that in a ReCAP article too so stay tuned because I’ve got a lot of ideas I’d like to see come to fruition with that. In summary, voice commands are cool on the PS4, limited currently and are a novelty at the moment. What do you guys think about it? Did you pick up the camera? Do you think it’ll be widely adopted? How do you think it stacks up against the competition (keep it civil in the comments please!). Hope you enjoyed the article and as always, happy gaming… PALMER OUT!

ReCAP articles are a quick review of past topics/videos CNPalmer has covered. The article is meant to augment the information from the video/article and not give a rehash of its content. It is also to provide some additional tips and details that may have been skimmed over and could use some additional focus or mention. It is meant for mature audiences only. For more information follow CNPalmer on Twitter and subscribe to his YouTube channel to keep up to date on his other segments and work within the gaming community.

1. Mike’s avatar

WHEN IS TN-V4 GOING TO GET RELEASED? AND 3.00 EXPLOIT GAME?! HURRY UP DAMN!

1. anterlop’s avatar

why you so angry ?

2. Jonny2jo’s avatar

What is wrong with you!?do you think the exploit was made just for you and has to be released on your schedule!?IDOIT!

1. Itherian’s avatar

OK Mike since u asked so nicely the name of the game is …….. Stop being a idiot and wait like everyone else.

1. jake’s avatar

My guess is it’d be between Jan 9 and Feb 22

3. Draven’s avatar

Since when does anyone owe you anything? How many exploits have YOU found? How many mods or hacks have YOU contributed to the scene? How often have you donated to the people who release these exploits?

Just wondering.

4. Hellbelial’s avatar

Im not angry but TN said that TNV4 will be released when p4 system comes out but now is all about ps4,where is tnv4?.Thank you.

1. sathriel’s avatar

No, and PS4 has been released so it is all good, no? Besides he said it is going to be between November and January, he didn’t give a specific date.

2. Dmaskell92’s avatar

That is NOT what TN said. He said TN will release November to January. We are in December, take a Chillaxative. I knew as soon as he said that it would release on New Years, just like UNO. Relax.

5. Dmaskell92’s avatar

It’s not January yet, don’t be so impatient.

2. gamerdad7’s avatar

Calm down boys eventually its going to be released.

Voice recognition will be very cool. I just hope Sony will give the option to personalize it like in smart phones. Saying “switch off” will save you from physically pushing the button which will make you even lazier.

1. CNPalmer’s avatar

Completely agree. It seems “almost” like an after thought with just enough features to not be left out of the competition. I’ve seen plenty of companies do this with products where they include some slight implementation of the feature just enough to check off the box to say “yeah, we have that too”.

3. 1998adam8991’s avatar

PS4 is missing quite basic stuff, gaming aspect of it is fine tho

1. CNPalmer’s avatar

I was also surprised that what I would think would be basic commands were no where to be found. The typical response of “its coming in a future update” from Sony is also wearing thin quickly.

1. 1998adam8991’s avatar

Yeah and I would’ve expected an update by now, I really want to access my usb and other stuff :/

1. CNPalmer’s avatar

Keep an eye out for my next article and let me know your thoughts on the contents!

4. mangosteam’s avatar

voice recognition could be a good add on to ps vita system someday.. and i hope vita 3g users can get additional system functions too.

1. CNPalmer’s avatar

I would like to see it extended to the Vita as well! If you are using it as a second screen type of controller you’d like to perform some additional functions there anyways. Why not leverage the handheld as much as possible especially if that is the direction Sony is trying to take the Vita in with the symbiotic relationship to the PS4.

2. anterlop’s avatar

yeah i want extra feature on 3g vita, like sms app.

5. Mamimi’s avatar

Don’t forget, voice recognition is available with the headset that comes with the system, right out of the box. :D

6. jake’s avatar

I’m not 100% sure but I think this’ll end up being one of those gimmicks which are there simply because it adds on to the number of features a console has. Just like remote play between the PSP&PS3 (unless you had cfw mind you)

7. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

The camera times out when I try to use it. My best use of it is going from Netflix and “Playstation back-to-game”

1. CNPalmer’s avatar

I’ve found that if you are already speaking and then try to have it respond to certain commands it just won’t work. It works much better when commands are used word by word, one by one.

8. x-eye’s avatar

Palmer this sounds like technology In its infancy. On one hand the idea of having a dialogue with a character in a game is kinda exciting. On the other hand it has a niche/never gonna work right – feel to it.

1. CNPalmer’s avatar

Currently, I think you are right, but with the right updates and new features it could take off. It’s a matter of allowing devs to implement the API correctly AND having Sony increase the basic usage of it outside of a game. Sony can’t be the only ones promoting or using the features, otherwise it will die a slow death.

9. x-eye’s avatar

* just think ps2′s infamous unsupported guncon and you’ll get the idea. :-D

10. ss’s avatar

when i connected my pulse elite headset with my ps4 controller i was surprised by the suggestion bubble about voice commands pop up. i was like orly and looked up the online manual about the feature.

has anyone compaired voice commands with a mic vs the camera?

1. gunblade’s avatar

idk hardware wise the bluetooth and wifi is tied into the secondary cpu the camera to wy it can wake the ps4 from stand by but i think the camera uses the same ram as the front usb and the audio and video..

11. lamarager’s avatar

OMG guys shut up bout these stupid exploits and shit god damn ps4 sucks HDMI is fucked up on almost all of them ps3 is so stupid it freezes all the time espessially the new one with the tray slide thing xbox one sucks assholes the disk thing is messed up too xbox 360 sucks it has all these stupid microtransactions in the games FUK PS3/PS4 XBOX ONE/XBOX 360 damn just go to PC hacking and shit a whole lot easier god chill the hell out #PS4ANDXBOXONELAME