How to take good care of your Vita

Here is a topic I often talk to other gamers about, though most couldn’t care less until they’re system doesn’t work anymore.
Passed off with ether an “I’ll do it later” or a “I don’t want to break it”, nether of which will ever happen, never to be thought of again until the system is dead and all those games, saves, and spent data bandwidth are now as worthless as a paperweight.

Well protecting your gaming system starts the moment you get the shiny new thing out the store glass case.
Protection measures differ from home console and handhelds with their requirements and ability to protect the console.
I’m hoping to make a guide for both home consoles and a few handheld consoles (they differ so much.)

Well, lets start with something useful like the PS Vita, as it is an odd one with both front and rear needing to be accessible in order to use.

vita in box

Of course, we can use the usual screen protectors on just about any handheld, but the Vita also has a rear touch screen that makes it the most uncomfortable thing to try and hold for anyone with normal sized hands. See how odd this is?
Most cases cover the back for handheld devices and have much of the added structural integrity in the back, like Otter Box (if only they made a Vita case.)
Instead Sony has made that odd floppy vinyl thing, crappy silicon slip off thing, and a controller “like” grip.
However, if we look at the console we notice the double lanyards at the bottom of the system (the 2 loops on the bottoms at the sides.)

vita lanyard

Here is my nice trick to make sure you don’t drop that that expensive Vita on the hard floor breaking it, having to go to Sony for repairs, and come back with a newer firmware that blocks your TN-V, or VHBL exploit and ruining that ISO or emulator game you were half-way through.

Here is how to make them:
For each side, we need 2 heavy-duty boot strings. (Don’t worry they’re only like $3.50 for 2 sets.)
Make sure that when the strings are folded in half, they reach from your waist to your ankle. (This is so they are long enough to play the system comfortably and still be able to move for gyroscopic games like Gravity Rush.)
Slide 2 strings though each lanyard loop, lining up all 4 aglets (the little plastic things at the ends of the shoestrings,) and pull them through until they are evenly pulled though the loop.
Keep braiding them until you get to the last 6-9 inches (15-23 cm) of string, and then braid them back into themselves.
Add quick release clips to the ends of the braided ropes, and clip it to your belt loop.
braided lanyard
You now have one of the best system savers you can get, and best of all you made it yourself.

This also works on PSPs and any other device with a big lanyard.

pspgo with lanyard

Now onto that annoying Vita touchscreen that gets covered in nasty fingerprints.

This one is a bit easier to take care of as any clean inside-out sock will help, but to do a better cleaning job, and disinfect that nasty screen at the same time:
Get some 90% rubbing alcohol and a bottle of drinking water.
Dilute the alcohol to a 50-50% mix, and then put it in a squirt bottle. (Be sure to mark the bottle as having deadly chemicals in it, as rubbing alcohol has iodine and other deadly chemicals in it that kill idiots who try to drink it….yeah…America is stupid…)
Squirt a bit on the “clean” sock (just enough to make small damp spot is plenty) and then wipe your Vita clean.
Yay! No infections or nasty bacteria growth.

But if you’re thinking, “its not that bad, its just fingerprints”:
You know that whitish fog haze that shows up on the screen after a few days of sitting on your desk? That’s bacteria growing in the oils from your fingers. Yeah, its gross and disgusting. Do yourself a favour and keep it clean.

Next on to a neat trick I discovered by accident and works really well.

If you’re having trouble holding to Vita as some people have big hands or problems with their hands like I do, here is an easy trick:
Find some small rubber balls or if you tear open a oxygen eater bag, you’ll find a bunch of small antibacterial balls that happen to fit snugly in the holes on the back of the Vita were the case screws go, and bulge out just enough to help even out the grip and not ruin the smooth curvy lines of the Vita.

One thing people often forget about is storing their Vita, games, and accessories.

I personally chose an HP (Hewlett Packard) green/gray/black laptop backpack.
It has all the pockets and pouches to store everything for both my PSP and Vita with relative ease, including all my power plugs, atrac Sony CD player (remember these?,) 3 or 4 sets of headphones, 7 Vita game cases, my PSPgo/Vita car charger, an old windbreaker coat, a notepad, a mechanical pencil, and still has room for my 17in laptop if I want to take it, with all being very organized.
hp bag
I’ve had this same bag sense around 2007 and been to several countries with it. I still have about 4 or 5 carnival cruise tags taped on the side, so if you can find one, they are very good bags.

What next?? Hmm….

wing zero gundomLet me know what you want to say about the Vita or any other consoles you want to see get the services of a nice maintenance guide.

P.S.
I’m not mentioning screen protectors because they are kind of a no brainier, and should be used on all handheld screens.

Note from Wololo: Those of you with PS3s might also want to check Acid_Snake’s “Guide to take good care of your PS3

1. Sky Yuki’s avatar

Hm am i the only one here who doesn’t use screen protector???
    Yeah now it got scratch all over it but i keep it clean
    Some question thought
    Does ps vita “Sticker” protect your screen??
    It look great i might get one

1. spongebob’s avatar

i dont use screen protector either.

1. z11003800’s avatar

Neither do I

2. Bill - Motherfucking - Gates’s avatar

My Vita fell into the toilet and still works! Although, it smells like shit…. literally…

1. jd20dog’s avatar

don’t dilute the 90%+ rubbing alcohol, fully shut down the vita and spend some time cleaning it with a good micro fiber rag, q-tips, some good old OCD, and some compressed air, alcohol wont harm the electronics as long as you let it dry out for a hour or a whole day if you fill like being paranoid

3. com'on’s avatar

come on guys. using screen protectors is just like using a cond0m. You won’t feel your VITA!

1. Nice Guy (Got Jokes)’s avatar

You just get a girl for all that feeling..
      And keep your screen scratch free with that screen protector.

4. Nice Guy’s avatar

Glad to see many people still take care of there electronics as well as I try to do.
    Every device I’ve bought still looks near mint condition.
    And all I had to do was apply a screen protector and use some case since day one.
    My portables used most:

Vita -looks new (check)
    iPhone -looks new (check)
    3 PSP’s -look good (we’re built from used parts)

So yeah whatever I get in whatever state it’s in when I buy it it usually stays in the same condition till the end of me owning it. (Until I sell it)

1. Thrawn’s avatar

I know what you mean.
      I recently bought a very very heavy used gba (not sp or micro) for about 15€. Screen completely scratched, on off swicht nonfunctional due to finger grease and god knows what else, sound poti broken.
      Well, on off switch cleansed, poti desoldered and new one soldered in and I’m currently polishing its screen window. The biggest scratches are only tiny ones now and the former small ones are now just barely visible if you hold them in a certain angle against a light source.
      I’m already looking forward to play zelda 4 swords mhmmmh. :)

1. Nice Guy’s avatar

Sounds great.
        GBA SP was my favorite portable during my childhood.
        Also had several original GBA’s I would sell the old one and buy the next best new color that would come out. :D
        Good times, good times.
        Seems like GBA days during my childhood were the most fun I had in gaming.
        I still love playing my old favorites on my PSP.

Advance Wars 1 & 2
        Golden Sun 1& 2
        The Legend of Zelda – Minish Cap
        The Legend of Zelda – A Link To The Past
        Metroid – Zero Mision
        Metroid – Fusion

And even go back to the old classic GBC ‘Legend of Zelda Links Awakening DX’ that I loved most doring my childhood. There was no other game that stuck with me till now.
        And even now with all these amazing games out there it remains to be my #1 favorite game for the fun I had playing it as a kid.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Yeah those were really good times. Lufia and Fire emblem and F zero maximum velocity, zone of the ender fist of mars… I could count up all my gb/gbc/gba cartridges, that would take a day.
          Well I didn’t buy the sp because the gamecube connetion cable blocks the charging port and if you play zelda 4 four swords adventures there is nothing more annoying than a gba that runs outa power :P
          With the normal gba you can hook it up to the wall plug AND play.
          But thats only for this specific game. This game has in my opinion the best action multiplayer party mode. 4 guys slightly drunk playing dat zelda game on a beamer always resulted in a shitload of stuff happening XD

5. mangosteam’s avatar

Yes nice I just learned something so useful and cool haha tnx

6. FBJ’s avatar

Two other things that I do to ensure the longest health out of my Vitas are:

If you have a foam pouch with a pocket for your Vita that has a snap button, be sure you place the Vita in it with the back of the unit against the button to ensure you don’t scratch your screen.

Next, when removing or inserting your headphone connector, use extreme care (especially when removing) so that you reduce the chance of the Vita’s headphone terminal ever breaking. Also, ensure that you do not put any lateral pressure on your headphone connector while it’s inside the Vita.

1. Sky Yuki’s avatar

Bitch please
      Bluetooth headphone

Oh also i have to press some pressure for wired headphone
      Or the sound will only out from one speaker

1. FBJ’s avatar

Bitch please; Bluetooth eats up battery.

2. jd20dog’s avatar

the vita cant really control the volume of most Bluetooth sets

7. com'on’s avatar

Sony designed the vita not to be easily scratched. So you don’t need to put screen protectors on. Like I said you won’t get a feel of your VITA. Sony themselves don’t make screen protectors for VITA. Other companies do. It would be bad if Sony themselves made it, it’s like saying VITA is not well designed out front. Don’t anybody else think? Squeeky Clean GEEKS.

1. Nice Guy’s avatar

Actually Sony does make screen protectors. (They usually cost more though)
      But they happen to be great quality.

And there only $2 now (not including shopping.)
      That’s a great deal.

In the end it’s everyones choice to do as they like.
      The reason I use screen protector and usually some form of body case for my devices is so that if and when I decide to sell my device to upgrade to a newer better model it will be worth more.

It’s not that I’m scared it will scratch.
      I just rather make sure it doesn’t so that I can get most of my money back in the end.
      ;)

1. Sky Yuki’s avatar

Lol two dollars

1. Nice Guy’s avatar

When they first came out they were like $20 or $15.
          Then they went down to $10.

Just because they went down in price to $2 doesn’t mean it’s a poor product.
          These are one of the best quality screen protectors you can get for the Vita.
          (Read the Amazon reviews if in doubt)

I actually think its great that their so cheap now.
          It only means more people can get them without worrying about spending $10 – $20 they would spend on a game instead.

2. Frezzno’s avatar

Sorry but Sony screen protector is not that good. I used it once. They don’t sit that well on screen. Also it only protects the LCD part of the front. Only plus was that it was really easy to apply. Today I use those screen protectors from China. They are cut to protect the whole front of the Vita. Plus they are extreme hard to apply to.

8. capcomlegend’s avatar

nice article

9. Mamimi’s avatar

I have the official Sony screen protector and a Mad Catz shell on mine. Unless i’m actually using the back touch pad (which is never), i’m only ever touching the buttons. And i don’t need to worry about shoving it in a pocket or my backpack, because unless i’m crazy with it, i feel it’s pretty safe sliding around in there with my Pikachu 3DSXL and 8 inch tablet, both of which are similarly protected.

10. Saya no Uta’s avatar

Right now neither my 3DS or Vita has any scratches, the only thing I have on them is a wrist strap, no screen protectors.

I tend to be extra careful with these sorts of things so I should be fine for awhile, I got the 3DS after the price drop and the Vita was a launch preorder.

11. Tiga’s avatar

To protect my vita from scratches and scuffs, and because I found it too damn shiny, I got a Vita Skin from decalgirl. Similar to the DIY Speedstripes stuff you can put on your car, stick it on and you can pull it off without hassle or sticky crap when you need.

I also use an anti-glare screen protector for the front from bodyguardz. It does make the screen look very slightly fuzzy, but considering I was using the vita every day on the train to and from work, and on my lunchbreaks, it does wonders for actualy letting me see the screen rather than my own reflection!

Nice tips with the lanyard and cleaning!!

12. quicksort’s avatar

I’ve had that HP bag. Used it the first year at my university. That bag is not durable. The joints are all very sturdy, however the weaved plasticish material it’s made from is not good at all. Once it’s damaged, the damaged area grows bigger until your bag is crap.

I now use the “Swussgear Carbon computer backpack by wenger” for almost 3 years. It has LifeTime warranty!!!
    That thing is a true beast. It is a lot more handy, it has so many great features. A must have for any geek boy.

13. vicsidious’s avatar

Seriously, nothing beats ZAGG invisible shields. They put those vinyl stuff on army helicopter blades for god sake! Greatest protection ever! I dont get any gadget out of its box if I cant’s wrap it in those vinyl sheets!
    Get a look at them, you’ll be surprised. And they offer lifetime warranty!

14. Haze7’s avatar

I have a front and back screen protector.
    A plastic protective case.
    And a kind of Steel box that I keep it in.

But Just a day before all those stuff arrived at the mail, the lower portion of my vita was chipped off. -_-

15. Charles Fasano’s avatar

I hate all things glossy. It just attracts fingerprints.

Just like cases for handhelds, cars should be made out of nerf.

16. sn37ip’s avatar

>>>You know that whitish fog haze that shows up on the screen after a few days of sitting on your desk? That’s bacteria growing in the oils from your fingers.<<<- as a possible future biology teacher I can say- Respect for mentioning that!! Bigup!
    BTW I use that official Vita screen protector from the starter kit and it is very very nice, there is no visual difference or anything. I take good care on all of my electronics, but those serial number and waranty stickers came off by themselves!!!!! :@@@

17. speedy’s avatar

I think there should be a vita accessories forums. where everbody can talk about what case or screen protector works for them.

18. speedbump’s avatar

I just wanted to say that I love reading all these comments. It makes me happy to see that there are other people like me out there

19. G36cBossMan’s avatar

Lmao! The ps vita is only good for a paper weight without vhbl or ecfw… I remember playing the psp for hours even without cfw I can’t play the vita for 30 mins without calling it a piece or garbage…

20. G36cBossMan’s avatar

90% of the games suck and when I was all hyped up for zombies on black ops declassified I was just let down not only did it not have zombies but it was a terrible game…

21. gamerdad7’s avatar

I used the green slime thingy to clean the hard to reach areas of my vita (volume, directional buttons, analog, etc) but to my dismay some of the slime got stuck all over my vita, it even covered both of my speakers and i was not able to get it out! I ended up pricking my speakers with a needle to get the slime out, needless to say, I had no success. Now my vita has green yucky stuff all over it… FML

22. el_popi’s avatar

Well i usually use on my vita a vinyl stick to protect the vita for wear down and fingerprints. plus the usual screen protector and a case. Works like a charm and the rear touch zone doesn’t lose any sensivity with the vinyl on.

23. BahamutBBob’s avatar

Why do so many people call the rear touch a screen? Does it display anything? No? It isn’t a screen. This is directed at jd20dog.

It also doesn’t need any additional protection. But if you have the official Sony screen protectors, you get two in a pack, so you may as well use both if you don’t see yourself ever getting a 2nd Vita.

1. gunblade’s avatar

touch pad… well one of my vita the rear touch screen got like a knife slice but it still works

2. gunblade’s avatar

my bad rear touch pad habit i guess

24. tech84’s avatar

I only just recently placed a screen protector on my vita, and by recently i mean yesterday! and I had my Vita for about 6 months now.

Now im confident that the screen would beprotected from minor scratches everytime I put in in my pocket or in a bag somewhere.

25. stOneskull’s avatar

what’s a good way to clean in the speaker holes?

1. gunblade’s avatar

idk cuz it depends on the type of speakers i seen sum paper like ones so i would think not to get them wet but i jus wet a cotton swab

26. gunblade’s avatar

think the glass scratch remover would work on the vita think its for car windows

27. Axel’s avatar

The PS Vita screen is pretty resistant and hard to scratch, mine has no scratch on the front side, the back side has a thin-small scratch which for paranoids like me looks huge. No need for screen protector regardless unless you like storing your vita with pencils and scissors =.=